Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
es, thanks again, the image, which is mine of course, shows that the socket ONLY penetrates the old, broken amber. Not sure what your problem is but are you qualified to criticize I wonder?
Any other differences aside, George Dibos is recognized worldwide as one of the finest and most knowledgeable pipe restorers working in this day and age. Top collectors send their rarest and most precious museum quality pieces to George on which to work his magic. And one of the things that separates George from most other "restorers" is his deep knowledge of materials, how best to use them, and how to improve the structural integrity of the pipe he's working on, all with an invisible result.

So yes, he's much more than eminently qualified. He's pretty much the definition of eminently qualified.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The new owner seems to have done a wonderful job of completely undoing everything that The Mitre did and performed a repair in the manner which was most suitable to him which is what we were suggesting The Mitre do all along.
Even so, I don't like the result. It's expertly done, but the flow of the stem is not graceful and the stem feels too long. I'd like to see a picture of what this pipe originally looked like when it was in production, but based on similar pipes I've seen and owned, Mitre's approach, whatever technical faults there might or might not be, is closer to what the original might have been.

I'm glad that the guy is happy and that the pipe will be enjoyed. But the result just looks off to me.

Reactions: UB 40

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I find that not taking criticism is a great way to not get better at something. Not that every critic is right, but to brush it off always is not a great way to improve. And that is one of those things that separates the greats from the good the constant search for improvement that little feeling that there might be a better way.
I would not be approaching my 57th year as a professional artist if I couldn't take criticism, even criticism that I disagreed with, and learn something from it. I may not be among the greats, but I'm still being offered opportunities at an age where almost all of my contemporaries have been shown the door.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would not be approaching my 57th year as a professional artist if I couldn't take criticism, even criticism that I disagreed with, and learn something from it. I may not be among the greats, but I'm still being offered opportunities at an age where almost all of my contemporaries have been shown the door.
Hey thanks for proving my point as well as another one I often make. You are one of the greats and like most of them you don't put yourself in that group.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
another little thing i only am critical of artists who i think are good like exceptional. When people show me their art i sometimes have to add that caveat. Others are too good for that or get the ole making art is good for the soul no matter the end result. Another one i love is when the critism says you hit the mark. Example that song is horrible it makes me feel like i am going to be stabbed. That was the theme the feeling of attempted murder! Oh and thanks for your work i have paused a scene or two to get a nice long look.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
On we go! Constructive criticism is very useful but the tone of the criticism right from the start has been far from it.

Everyone should go through life with their cup half not half empty.
still worth considering. Though it is a fact that sometimes it is easier to get someone to listen with tact, but sometimes a bullhorn is needed to get thru certain egos.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Even so, I don't like the result. It's expertly done, but the flow of the stem is not graceful and the stem feels too long.

The threaded connector "killed" the curve. It had to be "long enough to be strong enough" (meaning sufficient surface engagement) to not pull out or twist over time, which meant there was no way to avoid having a straight section in a curved stem.

The choice was shorter than the original with a flowing curve, or original length with a jackknife bend.

There was no "C".

You prefer the curve because you're an artist and your brain is wired that way.

An historically minded person would probably prefer the length.

There is no unarguably correct choice.

I'm glad the baling-wire-and-duct-tape-multi-color-hack-fix-atrocity period of that pipe's life is in its rearview mirror, in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.