1975 Dunhill Shell EC Unsmoked...Not Anymore!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

For a while I've been contemplating selling off a few pipes from my collection that I'm not smoking for whatever reason or simply didn't turn out to be what I hoped. I know I'm not the first piper to go through it. Maybe that's a hazard of buying pipes online sight unseen.
One day I was window shopping at Smokingpipes and what do you know? My favorite shape the classic Canadian expertly executed by Dunhill. Firmly under the PAD spell I selected some of the pipes in question from my collection and sent them off to SP to be evaluated. In the meantime they pulled the Shell from the sales list and I waited patiently (yeah right). Eventually I received the appraisal and was happy with the offer so after closing the deal I had just a few days more to wait while the pipe shipped.
Wow! 39 years and never been put to flame. Once in my possession that unsmoked status lasted about six hours. Last night after dinner I loaded a little over half a bowl of Solani Aged Burley Flakes and did the deed. As expected the smoke was perfect. What a rare treat to be the first to smoke this beauty. I hope the previous owner is as happy with the return on his investment as I am as the new owner.
The pipe is a group 4 size and as an unsmoked estate one thing I really like about it is the intact button that has not been buffed away to fractions of its original size. The grain is unremarkable but that's not a concern to me. The tactile nature of the sandblast; good smoking attributes and of course the cache and incredible history behind the brand is what keeps me coming back for my Dunhills. And this one is one I think I'll be reaching for quite often.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great pipe and a story to go with it. I'm glad it was finally put to use in the manner that was intended!

I may never own a Dunhill, but I do admire their classic lines.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys!
Pitchfork -It's a size 4; .780" diameter X 1.580" deep O.A.L. 5.5"
mso489 - I hear you! I don't understand how people can sit on pipes and not smoke them. I guess my attitude puts me firmly in the pipesmoker camp and not the collector side or maybe pipe investor is a better way to put it. To each his own I guess. I'm just glad this one found me so it could finally do its thing. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
outta my league, but glad to see such a wonderful pipe. I've been gravitating toward long shanked pipes and have two Canadians amongst other nice sized shanked pipes. More briar for the smoke to travel.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
can't blame you...would have to fire her up myself.
congrats on the catch...great looking pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Mike, what a wonderful addition to your collection! It's a great looking pipe, that's for certain.
Congrats, pal.
-- Pat

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Love that pipe. The closest I have is a Savoy's Argyle Canadian of about the same age. It's a fine pipe, but no Dunhill. Now I'm envious. Good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.