PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, that is maybe the most appealing pipe I have seen in a long, long while. Wanna trade? :wink:
I'm sure you can guess the answer to that. Out of respect I must say, "Thanks for the offer," though. :D
At first I was determined to have one in each of the classic finishes---Root, Bruyere, Shell, and Tanshell---but now I'm reasonably sure the shape was some sort of customer spec item, failed market test, or the like. A fair number of my PipeWorld friends have been on the lookout for 20+ years, and not so much as a lead, never mind a confirmed sighting.
That said, nothing could stop you from commissioning a copy from one of today's carvers, right? :twisted:

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
This 51161 has amazing birdseye grain. Another thing I like is the most beautiful, harmonious marriage of mouthpiece and bowl. My personal wish would be to refurbish it to its original 'root' finish so that the grain would 'come out of hiding' and completely blow me away.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was wondering about the finish on the above 51161- it looks as if it had been varnished or shellacked with a heavy coat at some point, a poor refinishing job. Does that sound right? Looks like great grain underneath.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was wondering about the finish on the above 51161- it looks as if it had been varnished or shellacked with a heavy coat at some point, a poor refinishing job. Does that sound right? Looks like great grain underneath.
That's just wax, 25 years of heavy smoking, and a slightly under-exposed photo. There's nothing to be ""underneath" of.
That's why I call it "granite grain". Briar so tight it looks like stone. I only found a few other pipes of any brand in all my time that have it. I'll take some pics of them in the next few days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Shoot, George! If I'd have read and remembered it was yours and you bought it new, I wouldn't have speculated it had been badly refinished. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.