PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Akoudticply posted a link to the March 1947 issue of PipeLovers Magazine and therein, on page 86, was a “difference of opinion” on the merits of...

8283AC21-F2C8-4C10-A5ED-0302C9159703.jpeg

LEAVING A PIPE CLEANER WITHIN A PIPE UNTIL IT IS NEXT SMOKED

CON - Air must circulate through the stem and chamber until next smoked. No Pipe Cleaner should be left within the pipe.

PRO - Oils and Tars don’t evaporate by air. The pipe cleaner acts as an absorbing agent, prohibiting the oils and tar from sinking into the shank.

Gentleman?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
By the way, pictured are my two best smoking pipes. Both are $30 baskets.

No name on either. Only the words, “Imported Briar” on each.

Although I believe the Meer Lined to be a Field and Stream offering. I say that because of the interesting stinger. A “pipe cleaner” is folded and inserted and used as it’s filter, although I don’t smoke it that way. I don’t like the draw even with the thinist Pipe Cleaner.

As for the rice idea... if it works to draw moisture out of electronic devices, it should do its job on a Briar.

Ps. I’ve been using the water rinse nightly, as does HoosierDaddy and I must say the ease and the result is phenomenal.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
To make this a double-bonus generational cross-over controversy.....I use to leave pipe-cleaners in the stem (overnight or for a few hours) until I went to the ?waterflush!? Now I just use a pipe cleaner post flush to dry out the bowl/stem and back on the shelves the pipe goes. But in the before times, leaving a cleaner in the stem for a few hours it would usually be stained/tar-ish on removal...so at least by that simple visual metric I thought it was doing 'something' more than just a few passes and done.

I did not ever leave the cleaner in to the next smoke though.....just thought that looked like all my pipes were on their period sittin' on my shelf.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Gentleman, allow me to add another wrinkle to the argument, er ehh discussion.

View attachment 56765
If absorbing agents remove unwanted tar, oils or smells, why not rice in the bowl?
I keep all my pipes in a box after drying for a few days disassembled; in the box I have a dish of Minute Rice. I replace it every couple of months and when I do, the rice stinks to high heaven so it must be capturing some of the smell.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I keep all my pipes in a box after drying for a few days disassembled; in the box I have a dish of Minute Rice. I replace it every couple of months and when I do, the rice stinks to high heaven so it must be capturing some of the smell.
What's the RH where you live? Where do you live?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Um, I live in Stokesdale (NC)? I believe it's the only one in the United States so it shouldn't be too hard to remember and certainly not hard to forget since it is my screen name...just thought it was redundant to repeat myself in the location area as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As you will. I can remember that, but those unfamiliar with the town or the fact that's your location won't know.

RH- So high in the Summer unless your house is highly a/c'ed. A hot water flush will obviate the need for rice to absorb smells.........

Reactions: stokesdale

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

I have thusly included my location into my profile, thank you for bringing that to my attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.