PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Anyone else watch this auction? 1924 Dunhill Magnum

I didn't think it would sell for that much............ seems Dunhill prices on the 'Bay have softened somewhat.

Really a nice pipe though, and about as rare as they come............... :puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That pipe is exceptional in every detail. It was made by the sort of person who is known today as a "perfection chaser".
But such people didn't exist 100 years ago. The concept is recent. An entire shop's-worth of them? That's absurd... not every station had someone that good. Or who even COULD be that good.
In 1924 the Shell process hadn't even been perfected, and typical production was considerably more casual. EVERY Dunhill period to come was more casual, in fact. Much more.
And different techniques were used to make it than were ever used anywhere else, or at any other time (that I've ever seen anyway).
Something exceedingly strange is going on with that pipe.
I now have a new hobby... finding out what that pipe ACTUALLY is, and who made it. :twisted: :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As for the softening value, bovineconsumer, definitely. A similar-sized ODD Tanshell panel billiard sold for $7100 in 2008.
Shit...
With that I just thought through the whole ELEVEN INCHES long thing. 8O (Couldn't see the forest for the trees, me) It's a window display item, not a "real" pipe.
That explains much regarding the different techniques that were used.
Everything else I said more-or-less stands, though.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK...
Running everything back through while keeping the whole "window display" concept in mind cleared up the mystery, I think. Or, at least provided a plausible explanation.
The massive size would account for the different techniques used, as mentioned before.
The superior overall workmanship and attention to detail was probably because 1) Alfred handpicked the best people in his shop to make the company showpiece display pipes; and 2) there was no production line time limit on them. He just said, "Show the world how good we are here!" and walked away. Literally days could have been---and likely were---spent on it.
I still amazed that ANY line workers of that era could do work at that high a level, though, no matter how much time they were allowed. Just wow.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Yes indeed, it's an INCREDIBLE pipe. I wasted spent quite a few hours ogling it this past week.......... :?
I really don't know a lot about these "Magnums", but I'm not totally convinced they were just window display items.

'Ol Alfred was a marketing genius, and I'd wager he knew there was a certain segment of the population that HAD to have the BIGGEST/BEST of everything. (still true today). Biggest estate, biggest motorcar, biggest yacht......etc. etc. I'd bet that pipes like these could and would be purchased by the very well to do, a status symbol of sorts?........
I think your "Spot on" in your thinking there George....... :lol: Alfred most likely picked the cream of the crop to make these, and spared no expense. It does indeed show in this example.
As for the case- It's definitely the real deal. A patented "ventage" case, period correct. The Logo inside seems to have been used infrequently, but I've seen it on other cased "magnums" of this era.........
A cool piece, a Prince nonetheless, I'd love to see it in hand............... :puffy:

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Not that I am an expert by any means but there is something about it that would limit my bidding due to authenticity issues...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
what's so special about that pipe that it's worth 2,5k pounds? The Dunhill name? is it at least hand-made? Because she aint no beauty to me!
Exactly so! I'm glad someone with sense---and balls---is finally speaking up!
Pipes are pipes are pipes. Bowl? Check. Stem? Check. If it has those, it's a PIPE, dammit!
LISTEN PEOPLE... There's nothing special about ANY of them!
Pipes are EXACTLY like women --- Two arms, two legs, two hands, two feet, a head, and a middle chunk to hold those pieces together. That's IT. Any woman who has all her parts is no different than any other.
Got it?
Good.
Glad we got that cleared up. :evil:
kj_Bh_MOC.jpg

lerato.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm with Deniz. That pipe looks more like the second woman than the first to me. But, to each their aesthetic own, right?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm with Deniz. That pipe looks more like the second woman than the first to me. But, to each their aesthetic own, right?
I wasn't referring to the cased Dunhill, but the principle. All pipes. They are all the same. The same way all cars are the same, or dogs, or---as proved with those pics---all women.
Once you realize that, you are home. All else will follow. Peace, Happiness, and Tranquility will be yours.
8)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Never underestimate the eccentricities of a Dunhill collector...

I was watching this more modern Magnum, which went higher that i would have guessed, given its somewhat recent vintage.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/382176304108

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
All the workmanship tricks, techniques, and results seen on that old one are happening with the newer one, Al. Awesome craftsmanship and attention to detail. :worship:
The wood selected isn't anything special, though, and neither is the blast. :evil:
It pretty well confirms, though, that Dunhill had in its employ and could unleash world-class workers on a project when desired.
Now, I want to know if there was just one of them---one guy who was The Master---or if each department had its own top gun and special projects were a collaboration. Also, if he/they might still be around. I would love to talk to anyone who had anything to do with these special projects like you wouldn't believe. (2002 wasn't that long ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.