1923 Dunhill P10 --- Sandblast From Another World (Restored & Re-Stemmed)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
excellent restoration.. did you make a completely new stem or use a donor of some kind?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Incredible looking. I agree with ssjones, I wish this pipe could talk. Just think...this pipe saw both world wars, the wide spread development of electricity autos and airplanes. All this time and it survived intact, amazing.

Exactly puffy

PS -- The guy who sent it has outstanding taste and an excellent eye. There are five more in the box he sent that are similar to this one.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
excellent restoration.. did you make a completely new stem or use a donor of some kind?
The "donor" idea sounds workable to casual pipe owners, but isn't feasible for a host of technical reasons.

The one in the pics was carved from a solid chunk of German ebonite.

There's a middle ground of sorts called "pre-molded" stems, but they're no longer used on higher grade pipes. In the old days often a smoker's only option was his local B&M's repairman---sending an English pipe back to England by ship for repair was considered extravagant to the point of absurdity by most people---so old collectable-quality pipes are sometimes found with molded replacements. But today it's the other way around. Serious collectors wouldn't dream of doing that.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The "donor" idea sounds workable to casual pipe owners, but isn't feasible for a host of technical reasons.
You never know if you had the same shape but with a burned up stummel...
So it can be feasible but most often not.

What's a casual pipe owner? Do they wear track suits?

• Haha
Reactions: diamondback

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Beautiful! Please come back to posting your work more often. I'm sure the videos are a pain to produce, but many of us love watching them and would appreciate seeing one pop up from time to time.
I'm still cranking away, shop-wise. Threaded forums have moved in a social media direction that has killed their "archive-ness" (archiveity? archiveitude?) is all, which makes posting about factual stuff feel pointless. Like trying to fill the Grand Canyon with a shovel.

The sheer entertainment value of this particular pipe's grain and blast made it an exception, though.

As for videos, there are more in the works.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You never know if you had the same shape but with a burned up stummel...
So it can be feasible but most often not.

Sigh...

"Feasible" is not symantically equivalent to "possible". While anything feasible is possible, not everything that is possible is feasible.

Yes, if you were willing to take an oversized, existing, rod-cut stem from another pipe of the same design, and spend more time reducing its dimensions than you would carving a new one---a process that would require a considerably greater number of specialized tools, btw---yes, you could "re-use" it. That makes it possible.

But no repairman, anytime, anywhere would choose to do it that way. It would be like walking around the world to cross the street. Possible but not feasible.

Yes. Usually blue ones. (The reddish shades are for cigar smokers, gray is reserved for the cigarette guys)

Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

tallinn-estonia-6th-july-2019-man-in-a-bathrobe-in-a-street-smoking-pipe-and-drinking-coffee-W31GFC.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
so did you purposefully mismatch the stain on the rim and round the shoulders of the stem?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
so did you purposefully mismatch the stain on the rim and round the shoulders of the stem?
This sort of shit is your idea of "having fun" and "what forums are for" isn't it?

No stain of any sort was matched anywhere. You haven't the slightest idea of what was done, or how it was done.

Get a life, dude.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Face it George you are the world's best pipe restorer on the planet. If you were smart you would let me be your manager and I could increase your profits by 30% and of course I would only take 20.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanpiper

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This sort of shit is your idea of "having fun" and "what forums are for" isn't it?

No stain of any sort was matched anywhere. You haven't the slightest idea of what was done, or how it was done.

Get a life, dude.
no it's a response to your assholier than thou attitude.
you don't have to respond like you are some sort of pompous butthole to everyone.

I tried to play nice with my first post.. and you had to respond in a degrading manor.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
no it's a response to your assholier than thou attitude.
you don't have to respond like you are some sort of pompous butthole to everyone.

I tried to play nice with my first post.. and you had to respond in a degrading manor.

/applause

Well said, couldn’t agree more.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Gents,

I don't see any resolution coming out of this, I think we all made our opinions well known in another recent thread, no reason we can't be civil from here on out. This is a very cool pipe with some very nice work (as far as I can tell anyway) done by @georged and I would hate to see this thread get shut down.

George used to post a lot of cool stuff like this that I for one enjoyed seeing and would like to see him post things like this more often. I think we all took it beyond where it needed to be taken in yesterday's thread and nobodies mind is going to be changed here. If anyone else had posted this I don't think we'd already be in asshole mode by page 2, so maybe we should take a step back, look at this objectively, and enjoy it for what it is instead of getting a perfectly reasonable thread shut down because of personal grievances. If you guys would like to have words maybe PM is a better option.

George and I certainly don't agree on some things and I've had my share of go-rounds with him as well, but I for one am ready to look past that and accept what all of us can contribute to this forum in the positive, and I think this post is an excellent example of what George has to offer in that regard, so I see no reason to cloud it up with a bunch of hit and hit back BS.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Gents,

I don't see any resolution coming out of this, I think we all made our opinions well known in another recent thread, no reason we can't be civil from here on out. This is a very cool pipe with some very nice work (as far as I can tell anyway) done by @georged and I would hate to see this thread get shut down.

George used to post a lot of cool stuff like this that I for one enjoyed seeing and would like to see him post things like this more often. I think we all took it beyond where it needed to be taken in yesterday's thread and nobodies mind is going to be changed here. If anyone else had posted this I don't think we'd already be in asshole mode by page 2, so maybe we should take a step back, look at this objectively, and enjoy it for what it is instead of getting a perfectly reasonable thread shut down because of personal grievances. If you guys would like to have words maybe PM is a better option.

George and I certainly don't agree on some things and I've had my share of go-rounds with him as well, but I for one am ready to look past that and accept what all of us can contribute to this forum in the positive, and I think this post is an excellent example of what George has to offer in that regard, so I see no reason to cloud it up with a bunch of hit and hit back BS.
well said.. just letting it be known that you can be civil with georged.. but he will post a veiled comment in response.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.