PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Finished gentle clean-up of the 1923 Dunhill 151 (Large 3/4 swan neck bent):

Size comparison with a Royal Comoys 43 large 3/4 bent billiard on top the Dunhill in the middle and a Barling 1372 billiard on the bottom (Barling considered this a EL size pipe).

The walls are thinner than I am used to, but the pipe has NOT been over reamed, the I.D. of 7/8 inch is consistent with other 151 examples.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I also continued to slowly work the bowl interior, is isn't quite a bad as the picture I posted yesterday seemed but will still need to be addressed and/or stabilized. Can't wait to get this pipe in a condition to fire up!
Left side

Doc

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Very Nice! That's a classic. Just smoke it slow and it should be a rewarding a pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I also continued to slowly work the bowl interior, is isn't quite a bad as the picture I posted yesterday seemed but will still need to be addressed and/or stabilized. Can't wait to get this pipe in a condition to fire up!
You should have no worries.
I literally just now finished a bowl in an old estate pipe that once had the worst-charred bowl in my collection. It was a borderline throwaway, but I liked it too much otherwise not to buy it and give chamber wall rehabilitation a shot. That was several years ago. Its previous condition is now well underneath an immaculate nickel-thick hard carbon cake, and the pipe smokes fantastically well. Super flavorful, never gets hot, and never fails to deliver.
Hint: when you do finally fire up that Dunnie, do so alone in a quiet room and listen closely. After reaching cruising altitude and smoldering away contentedly, pipes like yours will talk to you. Pipe voices aren't loud, so pay close attention. They always have things to say---stories to tell---and it's always something interesting. Sometimes truly moving.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I love those lines. Dunhill had a way with contours. They could make a very large pipe look positively svelte. Your 151 is an exemplar of that skill. Congratulations on your new friend!
By the way, 1923 was a happening year in the UK. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_in_the_United_Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.