PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Watched the Netflix original 1922 last night. Thought I’d mention it here because it’s got some great pipe smoking action! It’s a thriller/horror so if you don’t like that genre than stay away, otherwise I highly recommend it.
Fun fact: Mike Patton (Faith No More, Mr. Bungle) did the score.
What do you all think an American farmer would be smoking in 1922?
Can anyone identify his pipe? I think it kind of looks like a Savinelli I own but not quite sure.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"What do you all think an American farmer would be smoking in 1922?"
I would guess it would be some of the drawstring-bag "pipe tobacco" that was clippings and scrap from cigar factories.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I skipped past it last time on Netflix.
If Mike Patton did the score then I’ll have to watch it now. I’m a big fan of his music. Mr Bungle anyone?
Thanks for posting.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha, good stuff! I’d like to know what you all think of it, I thought it was quite a proper horror/thriller and I couldn’t help but get excited that the main character smoked a pipe! It’s a great score too! Mike Patton did a wonderful job with it.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My name is Mike Patten. lol. Didn't help me in basic training, "Oh look, we got us a general who can't even spell his own F@$%*@' name right," and I couldn't claim to be the Faith no More Mike, either.
Darn it.
:laughat:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In 1922, a farmer might be smoking a corn cob pipe unless he'd had a banner year and rewarded himself with a Kaywoodie. Or maybe I'd better check and see if Kaywoodie was making pipes in 1922. ...would have been a KBB in those days, the earlier name of the Kaywoodie line.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My name is Mike Patten. lol. Didn't help me in basic training, "Oh look, we got us a general who can't even spell his own F@$%*@' name right," and I couldn't claim to be the Faith no More Mike, either.
Darn it.

:rofl:
In 1922, a farmer might be smoking a corn cob pipe unless he'd had a banner year and rewarded himself with a Kaywoodie. Or maybe I'd better check and see if Kaywoodie was making pipes in 1922. ...would have been a KBB in those days, the earlier name of the Kaywoodie line.

What do you imagine he’d be smoking in it? I’m assuming something like Carter Hall although I really don’t know the history of that blend. An American farmer would surely be smoking Burley of some kind in 1922... right?
Oh and I forgot to mention in my original post that this movie is an adaptation of a Stephen King novel.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Carter Hall didn't come out until the '50s. Prince Albert came out in 1906 or 1907, so that's a possibility. It was more expensive than the cloth-bagged stuff that was kind of regional, though.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The pipe he was using was a 1/2 bent Dublin rusticated with a black fishtail tapered stem. I think the pipe looked of Italian origin. Nice thick walls on the bowl. The actor was comfortable with his pipe.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks Aldecsker, I didn’t realize that’
Newbroom, I think you’re right, the pipe looked Itialian to me as well and yes, he played a pipesmoker very well!

I lean more to thriller suspense than horror, but tis the season...
Also The Nick is about to start it's third season, and there has been a lot of great pipe smoking scenes/ Even scenes where the pipe was a part is the dialog. I loved the scene where they were trying to find a medical use for hypnotism and they tried to train the ambulance driver to be afraid of his beloved pipe. I cracked up.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The Nick? I’ve not heard of it... I’ll have to look into it.
Watched the flick, liked it, but they screwed up, too expensive a pipe for a dirt poor farmer

Could have been a gift from his wife’s side of the family? But I know what ya mean, he probably would have had a cob.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
It wouldn't be surprising that the pipe was not period correct since many of the cars were not.

Status
Not open for further replies.