PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
The common practice today is to refrain from inhaling. Does this mean that pipe smokers commonly inhaled prior to this advertising campaign? Did this effectively change the habit and culture of pipe smoking? Interesting...

Reactions: Ebarber

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The common practice today is to refrain from inhaling. Does this mean that pipe smokers commonly inhaled prior to this advertising campaign? Did this effectively change the habit and culture of pipe smoking? Interesting...
I doubt this had any effect on pipe smokers habits. If you're smoking indoors, you're inhaling. This was more of a marketing campaign by some Palookas from Paducah to drum up interest in their product.

EDIT: I should add that the product name "Forked Deer" seems to me to be an unfortunate choice as it is not only odd and clumsy, it reminds me of the term "forked tongue".

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've read old accounts of smoking pre cigs and from what I've read it sounds like most people pulled smoke into their mouths maybe retrohaled and some freaks inhaled but inhaling doesn't really seem like a big thing anywhere until cigs come about and before commercial production cigs where basically other peoples cigar butts rolled up into paper of some sort. Those apparently where inhaled in attempt to some nicotine into ones system despite basically being a hobo or skinflint. Inhaling pipes or cigars into the lungs has never been a common thing. No what this ad means is that because of cigs being the new easy way to smoke for a while at that point people are starting to notice "tobacco" smokers aren't so healthy. But that the cig thing still isn't new enough that people forget grandpa still kicking about and lively with a pipe in mouth.

Reactions: Ebarber and Casual

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
Not contemporary with this campaign, but Phillip Morris ran ad campaigns on their cig and pipe tobaccos to *encourage* inhalation.
1647114540968.png1647114574657.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One famous print media ad from (I think) the 1920's had a woman sidling up to a man smoking a cigarette and saying, "Blow some smoke my way." Smoking is a dimension of flapper women's liberation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can't find a source at the moment but I seem to remember reading that in the U.K. in the 1800's there was a significant movement away from Pipe Tobacco in favor of Snuff, largely motivated by health implications.
from my understanding it had more to do with the Spanish Prize. Snuff before that was more expensive then pipe tobacco. Until a Spanish ship got captured that had a huge haul of snuff which suddenly flooded the market and dropped the price. Or at least that's the common mythology. Also before the invention of the lighter snuff was easier to take.