PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Matt, I appreciate the concern and I know it comes from a good place. When I say new to gun smithing I should qualify that. I am a Certified Engineering Technologist with a background in precision machining for automotive and aerospace as well as being an ex-paratrooper in the Canadian Military. I just haven't started doing an armouring although some of my military buddies are very experienced.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Piper in my opinion, which is not worth much, but it all depends on what you are going to do with the 1911? If you are going to use it for protection and a carry gun, for now just change the grips and put at least a 1000 rounds through it. The point of aim will probably change a little after the weapon "seats in". Then decide on a good set of snag free night sites. Your trigger should be good to go by this time and you can make a decision on it then based on some good intel. About the only thing I change on a combat 1911 is the grip safety and extended beavertail, as well as a good commander style hammer, night sites and quality magizines and shoot the crap out of it till it becomes a part of you. If you are going to just shoot for competition and fun , then go nuts on it. There are more bell and whistles for the 1911 than there are Pipes!! :D I own five right now , everything from a full blown race gun with a weigand site system to a bone stock WW II service weapon and everything in between. It all comes down to what you want to do with it, for carry and protection it is all about reliability, you need to make sure it will function at the most inoppurtune time. In competition and fun you get a second chance , but when it is your life on the line or your family's safety, you don't!! Just my two cents!! Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.