PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Working with facets is always a challenge because you can't make adjustments to one face without affecting the others, which comes back around 360 degrees to affect the face that you originally modified.
Indeed. :lol:
And that's just on the "equatorial" axis (so to speak). Facets will bite you lengthwise as well.
The line break along the top is because Zack didn't know the original stem's width at the button, so had to guess, and what looked right in his 21st century mind's eye was significantly wider than was normal/average 116 years ago.
Or, put the other way around, if the stem was exactly the right amount of narrower at the button, the top line would be level.
You sure jumped in the deep end of the repair pool, Mr. Z. :clap:
Faceted shanks and stems always bring to mind that old joke where one guy asks another why he's hitting himself over the head with a hammer, and he answers "Because it feels good when I stop." :lol:
t6ed5i.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
PS --
Here's a pipe from the same historical period. Notice how the stem follows the line of the shank without any flare (aka "fishtail"). I've never seen an exception. That's just how pipes were made back then.
The only way the faceted stem for Zack's pipe could maintain a straight top line AND have a modern fishtail is if was made into a severely pinched-waist shape, like the bottom pic.
Aren't facets fun? :twisted:
P1020743.jpg

P1020328.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
You sure jumped in the deep end of the repair pool, Mr. Z
I usually learn more from my failures than my successes...and I have learned sooo much in the past year...:) ...I had no idea that the damn things had a constant taper from shank to stem, but it very obvious when I see the lines- thanks George!. The good news is learning to scrape nice crisp facets with a blade will help the rest of my work, because I have this wierd sense of enjoyment from doing things that have no logical justification for the amount of time required to accomplish them.... Should help tremendously because I'll be making quite a few bulldogs this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.