PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon39

Might Stick Around
Dec 16, 2013
I recently bought a tin of 1792 when I smoke it I get a lot of bite. I let some of it dry and tried again but withe the same result. I smoke Five Brothers and really enjoy it so I tried 1792 since their both supposed to have high nic. content.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried 1792, but I gave a tin to a friend for his recent birthday, since he likes

really strong tobacco. With strong blends, usually a little time helps it mellow slightly,

and maybe drying it outside the tin overnight, just a bowl or two, helps. I too like

Five Brothers, but it burns really fast; it's good to prop up milder tobaccos now and

then.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I think the bite is just part of the animal. All the Kendal dark fired does that to me. I read somewhere it was made from "indian" seed tobacco. What was from the U.S. originally. Now from Tanzania. The only thing I learned was your tongue would get used to it. Can't smoke it often. Don't need to. BAM!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
5 Bros is more like smoking RYO, the 1792 has a different profile. Like Cayenne vs Jalapeno, a different sort of "spicy". Perhaps slow the puffing? It also seems to do better slightly dry in a narrowish bowl.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
5 Brothers, I'm not a big fan of. I found it to be very harsh and uneventful as far as taste goes. The 1792 is a blend I've not tried. A friend of mine smokes it on a regular basis and told me he has to sit down to smoke it because of the nic content! I actually bought a tin of it a while back, but never opened it and actually ended up gifting it to another member.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
I like 1792 in a small bowl at night or on sunday morning with a strong cup of coffee. Have you smoked other S.G. blends? S.G. brown rope number 4 is a great blend. As for bite it might the tonquin bean in 1792. It may also just be you and the tobacco dont match up on a PH level. Some tobaccos just bite some people for what ever reason. I know for me personal P.S. tobaccos bite me. Just my two cents

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I think the bite is just part of the animal. All the Kendal dark fired does that to me.
+1 on this. And I would go so far as to not classify it as "bite" per se, as it's yet to give me "leathertongue" or anything, but it does like to let you know it's got some teeth. Personally, I like it, but it's not an everyday blend for me.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Never gotten a bite from 1792. I don't smoke that often because it has way too much nicotine for me. Aside from the nic, I fine it pretty tasty when I get a "good" tin. There seems to be a lot who think (myself included) that this blend in particular varies quite a bit from batch to batch.
Mike S.

irishkevin

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
It seems like 1792 is a constant source of conversation, I searched the forum the other night for high nicotine suggestions, it was a toss up between Ten Russians and 1792...now I am compelled to try both.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
1792 needs more drying time than you would expect. I suggest a taller slimmer bowl. Z fold a flake to the right length then roll it slightly between your finger and drop in. then take the crumbs and really krumble them and thrown them on top and shake.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
1792 is very strong and tasty. For me it is an occasional smoke in a small bowl after a big meal.

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you're looking for a Virginia based blend with high nic that won't bite, I'd try Royal Yacht. I can puff and puff that as hard as I want and it'll never bite me.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I got a tin of this stuff for my birthday a few days ago and I can't wait to crack it open and see what's what.
Been reading members' views on this stuff for 3 years. I'll find this thread to follow up if I remember.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I received a tin of 1792 for my birthday last December and no matter what way i tired to make this tobacco work, it diddnt!! i really wanted to like it but it was just a huge effort to smoke it and to not fall over from the Nicotine !

Status
Not open for further replies.