PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Sorry you didn't like it oldmansmoking. you do know that your Peterson line is no more yes?
or maybe switch from decaf back to oil? lol
Explain the price you mentioned.. I believe your Peterson is about the same price sir.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In my opinion, it hardly ghosts a pipe. I can smoke it pretty much in anything. I do have a couple of pipes dedicated to just 1792 but that’s just cause I like it so much. I imagine those that are really sensitive to the Tonquin would disagree with me.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Was my first run with the Tonq.. what a beauty. Fits in nicely between ennerdale and Boson. im still not sure why it spins my head so much. but that tin note... are you serious? beef jerky or bbq !! snort!! ahhhh lovely!...
Not sure why I dedicate pipes to my favs that "ghost" If I could slide some Lakeland into Stoyk or Newf, Hmm sounds good! lol

Mar 25, 2019
I wanted to like 1792 myself, but it was just too much for me. Granted it was a few years ago I had some but I don't think I even finished the tin and it was long before I knew about hoarding cellaring.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
To be honest, when I first tried it back in 2010 I didn’t really know what to think of it but my palate was still unrefined, I could smoke just about anything at the time and it all tasted the same. I jarred it up and revisted it a few years later and by that point I was totally enamored with olde worlde tobaccos, I just love that old school taste, it’s hard to describe but when ya taste it, you know it. I’ve never had an American blend blow me away like the old school British and Irish tobaccos, they are absolutely something to be cherished in my opinion. Another great one was Bracken Flake (rip). I would probably smoke Bracken Flake more than 1792 but alas it is no longer available and I only have two more tins left.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I have 2 tins of this jarred up since I bought it from SP last year. After reading this thread, I thought, let's fire it up! I love KY blends and was eager to see what the hype was all about....
Suffice it to say, 1792 is not for me. I rubbed out 2 flakes but the rest in still intact in a mason jar.

Anyone up for trading? PM for details.
Thanks.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Went a little nuts. And raked in 2 pounds of 1792. I have 2 tins of Lakeland dark that I have to try soon hawky!!!

Also have 3 of grousmoor that I have to try one tin soon since seeing all the recent hate!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good job, dethmutt, I store mine in those squat little 8oz jars, they hold the flakes really well, you just have to cut them in half. Two pounds should last you awhile, I find that 1792 ages quite well too.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK, I just got back home from working out of state for a couple of weeks. I was able to get in on the last SG drop at SPC while at work and luckily got a couple boxes of 1792 so it was waiting for me when I got home.
Took out a couple of the most beautiful flakes I have ever handled and cube cut one of them. Let it sit out for about 20 minutes and couldn't stand it any longer. Gravity filled a cob and away I went... into heaven that is!
I was expecting a heavy perfume hit like I got with Conniston Cut Plug but instead was greeted with the absolutely lovely tonquin essence spoken of so much here and zero soap/perfume. A love/hate kind of thing I keep hearing. Well, I'm definitely in love. The tobacco is unbelievable and the nic hit is wonderful. Smoked perfect all the way down and the flavor never leaves.
Going to load another bowl right now. Desperately hoping for another drop or two as I won't be able to sleep until I have a few more pounds of this in the cellar.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Good job, dethmutt, I store mine in those squat little 8oz jars, they hold the flakes really well, you just have to cut them in half. Two pounds should last you awhile, I find that 1792 ages quite well too.

+1. I do exactly the same thing as @hawky454 (but I was out of the squat jars). Here are pics from this week, I jarred up a pound of 1792 in small Mason jars, flakes all cut in half. I actually cram the tobacco very tight with as little air remaining as possible to stall the aging a bit.

i0mkogr.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016

I do exactly the same thing as @hawky454 (but I was out of the squat jars). Here are pics from this week, I jarred up a pound of 1792 in small Mason jars, flakes all cut in half. I actually cram the tobacco very tight with as little air remaining as possible to stall the aging a bit.

Great minds must think alike. Not wanting to be a pig, I picked up two tins to supplement the hoarde and one box to jar for more immediate consumpution. Cut the flakes in half and loaded 8oz. jars. I've only been smoking this stuff intermittently for a couple years; it's grown on me big time. :puffy:

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Absolutely love this blend. It has grown on me quite a bit this last year. It used to be that I was always waiting for FVF, SJF, or Cabbies Mixture. I was happy to see that either there was a large supply this last drop, or not many wanted it. Either way it lasted longer than the others, at least at SPC.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I do exactly the same thing as @hawky454 (but I was out of the squat jars).

Lol. Turns out I ran out on the second half of my last box as well so I ended up doing the same thing you did with the last of it. Great minds think alike! I have about 10 boxes worth in the cellar now, that should last quite awhile.
panhandler, I’m so glad to hear you’re in the love it camp! 1792 is truly heavenly!
Edit*

Haha, just saw this....

Great minds must think alike

You got that right!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I love those squat jars but they are a little pricey.. the pint wide mouths come in 12's and are cheap!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Finally back home , and my goodies await jars! It's killing me to see the boxes sitting on the counter but I'm too damn tired to clean jars and fill. Gonna be a good morning!

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I do like 1792. Still have most of the box left I bought four years ago plus three tins. It does age nicely. Only dip into it once every few months.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Good to be back home.. and the 2 pounds of 1792 are safe in there jars.. Along with jars of GH kendall flake and scotch flake...

Smoked the Kendall.. More perfume than ive tried, but still awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.