PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m an estate man through and through. The most expensive pipe I smoke cost me $25 and that was a new cob.

I’m musing about contributing 150-200 towards my small collection. I’m still leaning towards estates purely for more bang for my buck, but happy to be pointed towards something new. Also not fussed if it’s one pipe, or better spent on a few.

I normally smoke smaller pipes, probably group 2-3.

I enjoy my old Brittish (invariably made in France) billards, especially the ones with orofic bits. Wondering about stuff made in Italy.

in terms of bents, while I love the aesthetics of a full bent, ive found they don’t sit quite right with my jaw shape so prefer 1/4 bents. Thinking maybe bent Rhodes or bulldog?

all of my pipes have vulcanite or black acrylic stems, so naturally curious about pipes with coloured bits.

I have no Lovats or pipes with longer shanks, so that is something I’m wondering about too.

yeah so that kinda turned into a rant in which pretty much any pipe could be suggested. My only rule is that if it doesn’t have a significant non-smoking connection (birth year, grandads favourite brand etc), It needs to smoke as good as a cob or what’s the point.

Reactions: highwaycobbery
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Save your money a little longer and purchase a new Artisan pipe from Jack Howell for $315. The prices in pipes on eBay, in the range you mentioned, seems crazy right now. I've never seen it so high. I monitor a few favorites sellers such as pipestud, the prices are so high I haven't even wasted time bidding.

Howell Rhod.JPG

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
I agree with @hoosierpipeguy. I love my Radice pipes, but in terms of collecting/using something special I often deliberately support U.S. pipe makers. Again, no knock to those making amazing pipes overseas, but some of the work being done domestically is so cool. For example, Mark Tinsky is one of my favorite makers here in the States. You can find his pipes in your price range. But do take a look around and see what turns you on.

Reactions: dcon

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
You'll figure it out. Just think, how many pipes can double as a rolling pin? You can roll dough and stop for a bowl while your bread is in the oven. Genius!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
That’s a good price range. I just got a Bill Taylor era Ashton for about $130 shipped, and a Dunhill patent for $160.

Estate Ashtons
Estate Dunhills
Estate Barlings (Pre-transition and transition eras are your best bet)
Estate Castellos
Blue Room Briars/Jesse Jones

These are the pipes I have experience with, but there are many others.

Reactions: mtwaller and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Only other thought is I put the cash towards restemming a few early century pipes I have. Does anyone know how much custom stems roughly cost? The stummels are all military mount, so would need stems cut to fit or even made as spigots.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Only other thought is I put the cash towards restemming a few early century pipes I have. Does anyone know how much custom stems roughly cost? The stummels are all military mount, so would need stems cut to fit or even made as spigots.

Maybe $25-$50. Contact @georged if you want the best stem possible.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
For forty bucks I picked up a Dr Grabow Royalton smooth bulldog. Solid smoker and made in the US. At least it will scratch your PAD until you find the right $200 pipe.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Savinelli has a nice line of pipes. Rossi, which is owned by Savinelli, has many more that are more affordable. Check out Smoking Pipes for a large selection of estate pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.