PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Kind of news we all want to hear:
https://thetakeout.com/112-year-old-woman-credits-longevity-to-whiskey-1829202941/amp

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad did martinis on into his eighties, but tapered off, finally quit I think. On the up side, it does dampen joint and back pains. On the down side, it challenges the urinary tract and liver. While it's working, and as long as the person doesn't binge, it can be medicinal. It just plain preserves some people, like this lady.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I know it sure helps me avoid insomnia. Remains to be seen how it helps my longevity, but I'll enjoy finding out.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Genetics is most of it.
My dad is almost 78 and has smoked 2 packs a day for 60 years, but I'm pretty sure it's his mother and grandmother's genetics, who both lived to almost 100, and not the smoking.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I remember reading an article about a danish immigrant to America who lived to 112 or 114 or thereabouts. His favourite food was sausages. His theory on why he had lived so long was that he had always only smoked good cuban cigars and not the crap his long gone friends did.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
I’m thinking anything which reduces stress must be an aid to longevity , since stressful living is a bad thing ..

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Yeah sure. Get stressed, smoke, get more stressed, drink, get more stressed, do drugs, get more stressed etc. Worked for Elvis.

Stress relievers aren't really that. True stress relieving is a mindset and has nothing to do with stimulants. Stuff like tobacco is a pleasure, but it is in no way healthy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't know, Workman. I was thumbing through an old magazine the other day that said more doctors smoke Camels than any other brand. :wink:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Melancholy is unhealthy. Melancholy leads to drinking; drinking lengthens your life... hmm, maybe that's the body's preservation instinct kicking in.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
There’s a couple of ways to get no hits , no runs , no errors
.. one of them is to stay on the bench

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
she has a nightcap of Famous Grouse Single Malt Whiskey nightly, and has done so for 62 years
Famous Grouse has single malt? I thought is was blended.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People react so differently. A drink or three certainly makes me sleep (as someone mentioned it as an insomnia cure) but in my case, it also wakes me up at 3 a.m. somewhat restless. Dehydration maybe? Others sleep well and get up early. I had a prof who drank a lot all the time, every day, and was famous for showing up in class at 8 a.m. if scheduled, and was in perfect form with his astonishing memory for everything he'd ever read or heard in exquisite working order. Boy, more power to him.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are times to be stressed. Stress management is the key. Never get stressed over subjects/problems over which you have no control. Then, solve the those other problems which cause stress. Or, don't resolve them and simply let the stress build. Many people find it easier to get lost in the stress than to figure a solution and apply it. Some people even revel in being over stressed. Them, I simply do not understand.
If you smoke, drink, or do other things to relieve stress, you are not addressing the stressors. It is a choice, live with the stress or resolve it.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
There's a WW2 vet who's 115, still drives, drinks black coffee every morning, eats bacon and sausage with breakfast, drinks whiskey when he wants, and puffs on a cigar most of the time. He just seemed relaxed and content, no stress and he just keeps on going.
They asked what his secret was. He simply said, "The Lord ain't called for me yet and I haven't been in no hurry to rush Him."

Status
Not open for further replies.