PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'll try to keep it as abridged as possible.
I've gotten a few inquiries in the last 6-8 weeks, mostly checking in on me because I've been damn near completely absent from the forums.

Ive dealt with debilitating pain in my lower GI tract since Spring of 2019. It comes and goes usually for several weeks at a time.
Very long story short, the pain made a vicious return about 7 weeks ago.
On the 10th of this month my doctor recommended I go to the ER.
A cat scan revealed a fairly large obstruction in my small intestine and some swelling in my lymph nodes down there. The initial prognosis was a rare neuroendocrine tumor.
Of course we wouldn't know for sure until they got in there and did a biopsy. I was put on full nutrition via picc line IV for 6 days before my surgery last Monday morning. I was severely malnourished and borderline dehydrated ( I had lost nearly 40 lbs in the prior 5 weeks).

Pathology returned Wednesday morning. My surgeon was beyond amazed. The "mass" was completely benign. In fact it wasn't a foreign mass at all.. it was a section of small intestine that had bunched up and become just "completely screwed". I have Crohns! In the surgeons words - " the most remarkably extreme case of crohns" she'd ever seen.

Sure beats tumor and lymphoma!

So I was discharged saturday evening and going forward I shouldn't have to deal with the pain that has been disrupting my life for so long.

This is all probably an unorganized mess of words but I wanted to share it with everyone. I'm looking forward to getting back in to my old swing of things. Y'all haven't gotten rid of me just yet.

puffy

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome back! When I saw you had posted I thought "well, we haven't seen him in a while!" Looks like a very good reason why. Really glad you're ok, and especially that everything went well when they were digging around in there. I was in a car accident when I was 17 that resulted in the removal of about 5 ft of small intestine and a small portion of large intestine, and that's no surgery to be taken lightly.

Crohn's is a tough battle too, but way better than lymphoma! The most important thing is that now you know and you and your docs can work to manage the disease.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
YIPE!!! REALLY glad you're better & that it wasn't malignant. Is the doc going to publish as a case study? (Apologies if you already answered that. I'm on my way out the door to a doc's appointment of my own & couldn't give strict attention.) Good to have you back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.