PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I own a couple of higher grade pipes priced around $300-400. I enjoy the experience of comissioning a pipe or of coming upon the perfect artisan estate pipe. The pipe themselves are usually more carefully built in fit, finish and design and I believe they are worth the purchase for me. Stems are a big thing for me and nothing beats a well handcut ebonite with thin button in my eyes.

But I'll admit that the pipe I reach out the most for is a billiard with an acrylic premold that cost me $80. What a killer pipe.
Being friends with artisans can be a plus too. I've been gifted pipes a number of times, and one fellow made me this one who puts a curve in the transition of the bit to button instead of a 90° angle. Perfect for clenching and easy to keep clean. Cost less than $150.?

775eTPb-1.jpg

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
Being friends with artisans can be a plus too. I've been gifted pipes a number of times, and one fellow made me this one who puts a curve in the transition of the bit to button instead of a 90° angle. Perfect for clenching and easy to keep clean. Cost less than $150.?

Chasingembers, now that you mention I am on the lookout for new friends. Maybe you should introduce me to some of yours? :col:

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
In my view, lashing out £1,000 on a pipe is a ludicrous waste of money, then I look at my wrist and I'm wearing a £5,100 IWC watch. "Why not wear a £30 Timex" you might say and I would answer "just because..."

I'm with you on this one. Timepieces are a weakness for me.
But they also retain their value, if not increase.
I bought a Submariner Roley in 1999 for about 3k. Wore it regularly and beat it up. Sold it in 2013 for 3600.
I don't wear a watch daily anymore...
but break them out for special occasions. Even if i'm sporting a 4-dollar pair of flip-flops.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm with you on this one. Timepieces are a weakness for me.
But they also retain their value, if not increase.
I bought a Submariner Roley in 1999 for about 3k. Wore it regularly and beat it up. Sold it in 2013 for 3600.
I don't wear a watch daily anymore...
but break them out for special occasions. Even if i'm sporting a 4-dollar pair of flip-flops.
You know they make nicer flip flops. ?

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
[QUOTE="BROBS, post: 36178734, meYou know they make nicer flip flops. ?
[/QUOTE]

True. And I have them. But i can wear a pair of Locals to the beach and not have to worry if they make it back home with me.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Doesn't this prove that, at least for some collectors, it's not about function at all and that's okay? Here you have someone that has bought multiple pipes over $1,000 and keeps buying them in spite of knowing that they don't smoke drastically differently than less expensive pipes. There's an aesthetic value that people place on buying high priced pipes.
Absolutely!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
they'll gain once the carver dies
Depends on the carver. Legendary names like Nordh or Ivaarsson, sure, though maybe not by much. The buy in is pretty high as it is, and the potential upside may not really be much. And there are a lot of lesser known names that are getting our figures for their pipes whose names will probably fade, along the the prices for their pipes.

Collectibles of all kinds go in and out of fashion, with prices following suit. In 2008, people who needed to raise cash dumped their toys on the resale market and got less for them.

I don't think of pipes and tobaccos as an investment, but as a pleasure and an indulgence. My investment money goes into much more essential vehicles.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Depends on the carver. Legendary names like Nordh or Ivaarsson, sure, though maybe not by much. The buy in is pretty high as it is, and the potential upside may not really be much. And there are a lot of lesser known names that are getting our figures for their pipes whose names will probably fade, along the the prices for their pipes.

Collectibles of all kinds go in and out of fashion, with prices following suit. In 2008, people who needed to raise cash dumped their toys on the resale market and got less for them.

I don't think of pipes and tobaccos as an investment, but as a pleasure and an indulgence. My investment money goes into much more essential vehicles.

And if anyone has made out investing in pipes, he or she hasn't shown his face. I've asked before, about once a year, does anyone know of anyone who has? This excludes dealers, who hopefully make money buying and selling, not holding.

Also, the definition of "investment" can be looesy goosey. When someone says he's going to invest in a movie ticket, or a sporting event, etc. we know it's different from something that will return a discrete financial gain. Essential transportation may fall in a similar basket.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was just making a bad joke. Probably inspired by financial music collectors. People that buy rare albums just so they can sell them later. And then suddenly flood the market when an artist passes away. Back to serious comments now.....
I look at it in a very similar way that I look at clothes. My nice clothes might not be as functional as my day to day/work clothes, but that's explicitly not the point. It's something nice that can mark a special occasion. Ties are a great way for a guy like me to say this is a special event. And although I have some nice clothes they'll always for me be secondary to functional comfortable clothes. And how wasteful it is all depends on what I get out of it and how much I have to burn.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Being friends with artisans can be a plus too.

With the look of that piece I'd agree!

Is that mammoth on the shank there? I've recently been checking out a few of those pipes along with some of the Fordite ones from Bill Shalosky and I have to say those shank decorations are very attractive.

But BOY OH BOY those prices lol, I'd be more interested in displaying them on my mantel than smoking them.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the look of that piece I'd agree!

Is that mammoth on the shank there? I've recently been checking out a few of those pipes along with some of the Fordite ones from Bill Shalosky and I have to say those shank decorations are very attractive.

But BOY OH BOY those prices lol, I'd be more interested in displaying them on my mantel than smoking them.
Not mammoth, though I do have a Weaver billiard with a mammoth accent. That one was commissioned as a Santa Pipe last year. I gave him a story to go by and he made me a pipe with a three piece stem and a stummel with accents of ebonite, white juma, and deer antler plus a matching tamper.

20191216_105144.png

20191212_090330.png

20191212_090313.png

Status
Not open for further replies.