PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There is a difference between smoking functionality and smoking experience. Just like I’ve never experienced a $5000 watch on my arm, those who smoke $100 pipes can’t understand the experience of smoking a $600 or $2000 pipe.
Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend, a Doctor of Pipes, who collected ultra high grade Danish pipes, Nordh, Ivaarson, Chonowitsch, etc. I asked him if these multi thousand dollar pipes really offered a markedly better performance. His response? "Well, I'd say they smoke about as well as my Grabows."

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
It's not that I would not spend $1000 on a pipe ever, but it is hard to imagine the set of circumstances that would make me feel like I was justified in making the purchase....

I think my two most expensive pipes were purchased by my wife for birthdays and they would be about $150...actually that was when I was working at a tobacconist over a couple of years and my coworkers gave her something like 75% off, so I guess they were not my most expensive anyway...

I understand that everyone has different levels of disposable income, and one thing I really enjoy about pipe smoking as a hobby is that it is VERY inclusive of all income brackets. You can have solid gold tampers, or use your finger (I am talking about pipes still).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a few four digit pipes. They were purchased just because I liked them and could afford them. Smoking wise, I've not noticed much difference in a well drilled pipe regardless of price. Example, there is little difference in the smoking qualities of these pipes.

20191110_191909.jpg

The grain certainly sets them apart.

687_9734blowfish5.jpg

Being a commission piece, I was excited to be present during its creation.

imagejpeg_0_1-600x600.jpg

imagejpeg_11-600x600.jpg

004-009-12277.5871-1.jpg

The acorn even has a cavity drilled out to have a large chunk of lapis lazuli serve as the mortise.

20191225_202012.jpg

This guy, though made by Holm decades ago, came into my collection unsmoked and remains that way.

004-001-15775.8500-1.jpg

Not sure what happened here.?

A_2_bl.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
The price threads are always interesting. I think a lot of people are just hung up on the item because of the unusual nature of the pipe, and not the price.

For example, it's somewhat regular for people I know to spend $35k-$80k on a car or truck. To me, not being a car or truck guy, I don't get it. I don't yuck their yum, but I also don't pretend to understand why spending that kind of money on a car is a wise investment.

I spend about $5k on a car, in cash, and drive it until it dies. We have very different expectations about what a vehicle is.

If I spend $1,000 on a pipe, I'm still spending far less in a year on "hobbies" or "interests" than the guy with the new car, but I would be perceived as something different because it's a pipe. It's an unusual purchase in comparison. The car is more normalized.

When I spend $100k on a sail boat, there are a number of people who would similarly be put out. It's a damn boat! There are faster motorized boats. How much can you possibly use one to justify the price? It goes on.

But the math is all the same. People spend a lot of money on a lot of very strange, useless, entertaining things every year. The pipe probably just stands out a little more than the usual stuff because it's somewhat unique, compared to say a high end television that also costs $2,000 or more which I have no use for.

In fact, I'd drop $2k on a pipe without worrying about it. But if I was somehow lining up to spend $2k on a television, I'd probably feel the need to get my head checked out. But that's just me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The price threads are always interesting. I think a lot of people are just hung up on the item because of the unusual nature of the pipe, and not the price.

For example, it's somewhat regular for people I know to spend $35k-$80k on a car or truck. To me, not being a car or truck guy, I don't get it. I don't yuck their yum, but I also don't pretend to understand why spending that kind of money on a car is a wise investment.

I spend about $5k on a car, in cash, and drive it until it dies. We have very different expectations about what a vehicle is.

If I spend $1,000 on a pipe, I'm still spending far less in a year on "hobbies" or "interests" than the guy with the new car, but I would be perceived as something different because it's a pipe. It's an unusual purchase in comparison. The car is more normalized.

When I spend $100k on a sail boat, there are a number of people who would similarly be put out. It's a damn boat! There are faster motorized boats. How much can you possibly use one to justify the price? It goes on.

But the math is all the same. People spend a lot of money on a lot of very strange, useless, entertaining things every year. The pipe probably just stands out a little more than the usual stuff because it's somewhat unique, compared to say a high end television that also costs $2,000 or more which I have no use for.

In fact, I'd drop $2k on a pipe without worrying about it. But if I was somehow lining up to spend $2k on a television, I'd probably feel the need to get my head checked out. But that's just me.
That's what I think too. I know people who will drop $1500 for a phone, yet I've never owned one that costs more than $60. A phone is too disposable to me to warrant more than that.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Which reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend, a Doctor of Pipes, who collected ultra high grade Danish pipes, Nordh, Ivaarson, Chonowitsch, etc. I asked him if these multi thousand dollar pipes really offered a markedly better performance. His response? "Well, I'd say they smoke about as well as my Grabows."
Doesn't this prove that, at least for some collectors, it's not about function at all and that's okay? Here you have someone that has bought multiple pipes over $1,000 and keeps buying them in spite of knowing that they don't smoke drastically differently than less expensive pipes. There's an aesthetic value that people place on buying high priced pipes.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
The biggest amount I spent for a pipe was around 200$.
I think talking about a superior briar which puts a price higher is often a lie these days.
If spending thousands makes you happier and if you can afford it, why not.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The biggest amount I spent for a pipe was around 200$.
I think talking about a superior briar which puts a price higher is often a lie these days.
If spending thousands makes you happier and if you can afford it, why not.
I agree. But an “experience” from one is mainly the feeling of elitism bestowed by price. Which is fine!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I agree. But an “experience” from one is mainly the feeling of elitism bestowed by price. Which is fine!
It reminds me of an "elite" lady with luxurious clothes and extreme make-up while she was hurrying to a toilet. I really enjoyed knowing that she was going to take a dump. ?? The darker side of elitism, reminding that after all the money spent we are still humans and somehow equal, smoking cheap cobs or the most expensive pipes on the world.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
at the end of the day. It's your money and your pipe. If I had no pipes and had to start again. I'd spend the 1000 on a couple pipes, but at a more well rounded collection suddenly to want a pipe it's got to be more special then just nice and a good smoker. Bottom line I'am happy with what I've spent on my pipes from the cobs to the one beast.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I own a couple of higher grade pipes priced around $300-400. I enjoy the experience of comissioning a pipe or of coming upon the perfect artisan estate pipe. The pipe themselves are usually more carefully built in fit, finish and design and I believe they are worth the purchase for me. Stems are a big thing for me and nothing beats a well handcut ebonite with thin button in my eyes.

But I'll admit that the pipe I reach out the most for is a billiard with an acrylic premold that cost me $80. What a killer pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.