PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
Have got hold of my pipe man to see what he can do with regards to the flexible hose, stem & a threaded connector. The bone/ivory shank plug has an inside thread as per photo. The grain & burl finish is stunning, the bum photo does no justice.

The weight is 1.2lbs

block1.jpg

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
Chatted to my old-man today with regards to the age, with out doubt at least 100 years old.

Thanks for the great comments and interest....Regards

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Dude do not chop that thing up. It is one of the coolest things I've ever seen

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
I've not had an "evil thought" at all since posting. Guess my Grandfather had the beady eye on me and wants it smoked, will be my pleasure!
Did suspect the the threaded plug was horn, it's 1&1/2 inches long, the craftsmanship is amazing and not just slapped together as seen on a number of smoking items these days.
Gotta find out the history, my only lead so far is the old "Gibraltar Briar Table Pipe" advert.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Most Hooka hoses screw into the hooka itself so you may be able to get it smoking sooner than you think. Gets some pics of the hole you mentioned as a possible choke. I love the shape of that briar trunk, like it was part of a tree.

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
Got an email back from the old pipe master I use, this was his comment about table pipe; "Savinelli used to make a more refined bedside table pipe (KALUMET) but I have never come across something like yours"
Anyway, he's about 350 miles away and I'm shipping it to him for a pro makeover including the new flexible etc.
Keep you posted....

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Sweet. Make sure to insure it.
On another note, if you showed up at the Chicago Pipe Show with that thing, it would be the TALK OF THE SHOW. Totally incredible and original.

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
I would give my left testie to be at one of the pipe shows, never been to one and bet I'd have dropped lockjaw if I had the chance, The problem is the air ticket, Durban South Africa to USA = ouch! big bucks. Not impossible, but not this year.

Regards...

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
Found what I had seen some time ago. See the photo of the advert for “Gibraltar Table Pipes” from page 84, Adolph Frankau & Co Ltd. The first table pipe is much along the lines of mine. Of interest is the bone/ivory shank plug, exactly the same as mine.

BBB - The initials once stood for Blumfeld’s Best Briars after Louis Blumfeld, who took over the management of the Adolph Frankau & Co Ltd in 1856. After his death, the BBB gradually became known as Britain’s Best Briars. Soon to be the oldest English trademark in current use and the first pipe ever to have a registered trade mark. "Britain's Best Briars", often called BBB, is one of the oldest brands still in production and has always been the most popular foreign brand in Denmark.

Interesting once you have a look at the advert?

TablePipes.jpg

zulu

Lurker
Mar 31, 2012
Sure is amazing. There seems to be very little info in this amazing corner of pipe smoking at the moment. Not to say that stuff won't start crawling out of the woodwork, it always does when something like the 100 year old pipe is exposed to an interested and dedicated group of pipe smokers. I'll keep scratching and post additional information as it's uncovered.
The 1953 Dunhill desk pipe is stunning, "gotta find me one of those"

Status
Not open for further replies.