PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Hi,
For perspective, this is from a relative newbie to the world of pipes. I purchased the first of two pipes a few months ago, and like it a lot. So, I recently purchased the identical model and just noticed that the draft hole of the newest addition is approximately an 1/8" above the bottom of the bowl. I'm wondering if I should be concerned with this. My understanding is that it should be at the bottom of the bowl. I recognize there's a reason why other pipes cost more, but I don't really know what I should expect out of a pipe in the $100 price range. Thanks for your time and consideration.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
What is the model mate?? If your smoke is not getting wet, or drawing badly, dont worry about, if there is a draw problem there are several ways to rectify that whether it be pipe mud or opening the draught hole a mite. We need a bit more information first. enjoy

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
And on some pipe shapes, the hole isn't necessarily at the bottom. If you have a pipe with a canted bowl for example. But sometimes you do get what you pay for. The price of the pipe normally revolves around the quality of the briar, I have a carver friend who pays sometimes 50 bucks just for the briar, so if the briar costs that much before you do anything to it...

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
It sounds like I just need to smoke it and see what happens.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance, but in the meantime here's the link to the page for it (I hope this isn't violating some rule):

Luciano Smooth Canadian

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
+1 on that. I've been looking at Luciano's.

If the draft hole isn't all the way at the bottom, it just means you may be left with some dottie at the bottom. I have that on some pipes (and some of them were more like $150). It's just a little harder to get some good cake at the bottom. I haven't really noticed a bad smoke out of any of them.
But you know what... By the time I smoke through the bottom, it'll be time for a new one anyway. I can't keep the PAD beast at bay that long anyway :rofl:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It sounds like I just need to smoke it and see what happens.

Yes, do that.
I have a couple of pipes that didn't smoke well at first. One started smoking fine after a 5-10 smoke breaking in process. The other still gurgled and left dottle smoking 1Q or other aromatics, so I tried smoking some burleys in that pipe. Now it smokes dry right to the bottom leaving only ash.
Don't give up on your pipe until you've given it an ample test smoking several different types of tobacco. You may just need to find what it likes.
I think you will find that discovering the personalities of your pipes is a large part of the enjoyment of pipe smoking. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've only got one pipe that I paid very much over $100 for, an Ashton. And while it is a very good pipe indeed, I can't even say it's my best smoker. I'd have to give that title to a Savinelli Hercules Dublin which was under $100 if I remember correctly. I recently acquired a Luciano as well, and I'm very happy with it...seems very well made and smokes great. IMO, the $100 range will do just fine if you don't have a huge budget...better off stocking up on the 'baccy if you have to choose. :puffy:

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
The pipe you buy should please you in every way. If it doesn't, You will always be thinking about

what you don't like about the pipe while you're trying to relax and smoke it. Not good.

In my opinion...If it's not pleasing you right from the start....Exchange it for another one

that will. After all, This hobby is supposed to make us happy right!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Assuming you bought it from smokingpipes.com, I think you could call them and see if they'll take it back. Previous comments may be correct, but if it bugs you enough you may be able to return it.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I myself would expect a straight pipe's draft hole to be a hell of a lot closer to the vertice, or bottom of the bowl. I have one estate Boswell that smokes fine like that, but it bugs the hell out of me.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
If I recieved a new pipe that I wasn't happy with for any reason, I'd not smoke it. I'd contact the seller, explain my problem with it and let them have the opportunity to make it right to me. Be it exchange the pipe, or if I was in aggreement, take a partial refund and keep the pipe.
I've had a few pipes that didn't have the airway drilled right on the bottom of the bowl, and with a straight pipe, it shouldn't be that hard to do. I've repaired several pipes like this, some from incorrect drilling, some from over reaming, others from a bit of over smoking, burning the briar down below the airhole (least that is what I think caused it) I repair these, not with pipe mud per-se. I use a crete based grout mix. It's a powder and very cheap. I mix it to a paste and once I install a pipe cleaner, or two, into the airway to keep this mixture out of the airway, I put the mix into the bowl and with a wooden dowel pack it down to the bottom of the bowl. I build the bottom up even with the bottom of the airway then remove the pipe cleaner/s and let it dry setting even, for a couple days. Then smoke the pipe as usual. It works great, turns to almost concrete and the pipe will smoke like new. I've never had any complaints with this repair and never had one fall out, or knocked one out when using a pick to clean ashes from the pipe.
Also, although I have my favorite pipes and may buy another from the same maker, I like a bit of variety and wouldn't buy any pipe from the same maker that is a match to a pipe I already have. But that's just the way I am.

Good luck with your new pipes.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Thanks everyone. It seems to be smoking fine. In retrospect, I wish I would've followed smokindawg's advice, and bought something different. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.