PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I bought a $10 Ronson butane pipe lighter online last year, and I use in in my car, to light my pipes while I travel.

I just spent $12 for breakfast, so for ten bucks don’t expect something like a Zippo, that works forever or they fix it free.:)

But the Ronson pipe lighter is a vast improvement over disposable butane lighters or the supposedly refillable ones sold in gas stations.

I’ve found mine to be of substantial metal build, it lights first time, the flame is soft and angled, and the built in tamper, pick, and scoop are handy to have when a real pipe tool isn’t within reach.

But the best feature of these lighters is they are truly refillable, with the standard butane canister. The seals last better than the gas station cheapies.

It could use a window to check the butane fuel level, but this is a good gadget.

0A64BD7B-23F0-4D5A-8593-7ABAFBA5075C.jpeg3759B40E-78BA-4101-B002-9AE56BCD1C06.jpeg73688C46-4660-42A0-BC97-EE6863F9816D.jpeg

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I bought one at the Zippo factory early last year, never worked well from day one. Think the fill seal is defective. Think zippo now ownes the Ronson line. They may offer the same life time service?

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hmm…. It is rather interesting to me that the seller in your photograph of the Ronson goes by the moniker of:

“healthcareplus1”

Now….. while I like to “envision” my pipe smoking is an important part of my health care routine….. it does seem contradictory to popular opinion. 😜

But…. The seller’s moniker and the product he is selling…. did give me a chuckle!!! 🤪

I agree with you too, that the Ronson pipe lighter is really quite nice for a butane lighter. I have one…. I like it…. Even though my fuel filled Zippo is still preferred.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've strangely had a bit of trouble with mine. I had bought it after buying the $5 Ronson torch that I use for cigars and that is an amazing workhorse! But this one seems a bit finiky. I think that maybe I just got a dud because the other one works great, although butane is always troublesome in the cold. But if you recognize the limits, they can be good lighters.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Mine died prematurely (a month of use) - meanwhile my 10+ year old Ronson torch is fine so ymmv

This is a ten dollar refillable lighter.

All of the gas station refillable lighters I’ve ever tried are maybe good for one refill, and often aren’t.

My Ronson pipe lighter has been refilled about once a month for most of a year.

I’m just surprised I’ve not lost it yet.:)

The gold standard of lighters is an oil Armor Zippo.

Good until you can’t find em’.:)

97F9ACB4-CE05-4318-BCDE-694DC333E770.jpeg

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I have one of these, picked it up at Walmart. Great for the money. My go to are kitchen matches, but this is what I use for travel.

I love Zippos, but they leave a bad taste. These don't.