PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
One of my shipmates hooked me up with a bit of 1-Q the other day, enough for about 3 or 4 bowls. Had my first bowl a little bit ago and was left pretty satisfied! IMO, just the right amount of solid tobacco taste popping out behind the vanilla. I'm not going to pretend I'm in a position to review any tobacco as inexperienced as I am, but I liked it.
This, along with a few reviews I've read on here or TR.com have lead me to the following purchases sometime in the next few days.

Firstly, I'll probably get a few ounces of 1-Q as it's only four dollars per - not sure how much I'll end up ordering.

Next up, Erinmore Flake - read a couple reviews on the mixture, but I've never smoked a flake so I thought I'd give that a try. Heard it was more flavorful anyway.

Some H&H American Heritage, based on the description alone. The Burley and Turkish Kinda lured me in, being a cigarette smoker as well (for now).

H&H Anniversary Kake - not sure why I put this on the list anymore, but should end up a satisfying smoke based on the description/reviews.

H&H Black House just to broaden my horizons a bit. Seems to be well hyped, IMO, so I'll give it a shot once. If I don't like it, I'll put it away for a while.

H&H Larry's Blend - this one for it's Latakia. Never smoked a heavy Latakia blend (knowingly - had a lot of "bummed" bowls that I didn't know what they were at the time), should give me a good test-drive. It's got a LOT of good reviews out there.
I wanted to get some SG FVF and Squadron Leader to see what everyone is talking about (I think those two tobaccos come up the most on this forum), but it's mostly sold out. I could buy SL in bulk, but I'm not sure if I'll like it enough for that.
Any more suggestions, feel free to drop them in sometime before Monday or Tuesday. I'm trying to build up my pallet for different kinds of tobaccos, and I don't have much experience with English blends so keep that in mind. Thanks everyone!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Quite a list you have here. I have Black House and like it a lot. Have not tried Larry's Blend yet but intend to order it. The H&H blends are very good quality and interesting. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
i have larrys blend an its good, also have anniversary kake an its kinda boring, nothin there heavy enough for me. Larrys blend was my first latikia ever an i didnt think id like it when i tried it, but i do,

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Cig smoker too here, trying to make the switch. You may want to look into double eagle (sterling) and steamroller (pipesandcigars). Sterling will send you a free sample. Mine just came in today. Can't wait to give it a try

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
Added the Steamroller, haven't found the Double Eagle yet. Also added a couple MM Ponies for windy days when I don't want to risk burning out a nice pipe.

harrumphicus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2011
The Water
DONE - order placed. 4oz Lane 1-Q, 100g Erinmore Flake, 4oz Black House, 3oz Larry's, 2oz Steamroller, 2oz H&H Virginia Memory #10, 4oz Captain Earle's Mystic Blend and a couple of MM cobs for the hell of it. 'Tis my final purchase for a while (hopefully) and the beginning of my little cellar.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hope you like the Erinmore, after ordering 100 g. That's one of those blends that has a small devoted following, while many pipe smokers dislike it. I haven't tried it - when I see the words "pineapple" and "pipe tobacco" referring to the same thing, I immediately move in the other direction! :D

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Good order !
Google "Sterling tobacco" and go the website. There's a "contact us" link and they will send you a sample of whatever you ask for and a sample of their "value mix", which is pretty much a mix of whatever's left. But it wasn't bad at all.
Personally as a cig smoker, I liked GH Kendal's Kentucky better than the double eagle, but I'm letting the double eagle sit Ina jar for a couple of months and come back to it. It wasn't bad at all. Just not enough of the vitamin N compared to the Kentucky.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Larry's is a good choice, i ordered more yesterday along with a clay pipe to smoke it in; Larry's is my #1 and far surpasses Frog M, but thats just my opinion, also on order is H&H Black house, 7 seas black, and gonna try some plain ole Carter hill. Dont care for the Steam Roller or the Anniversary Kake i got last order

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Larry's Blend is a great full Latakia blend. I also enjoy Anniversary Kake and Old Tartan (Burley with deer tongue).
Smokey

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like a good order to me too.

Glad you have your priorities straight....

Lane 1Q comes first!

Pretty soon it'll be a pound of 1Q then comes everything else.

It'll be your "go to" smoke before long.

:clap:
Be safe, and thank you for your service.

:puffy:

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Pretty soon it'll be a pound of 1Q then comes everything else.

It'll be your "go to" smoke before long.
Lane 1Q was one of my favorite aros as well until recently when I received a sample of Stokkebye's Golden Dansk. They're both so damn good that now I cant decide between the two. There so similar and yet just different enough from each other...
Curse you Pipes and Cigars for sending me that sample!!! :P

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just got another 16oz of 1Q along with 16oz of PS Lux Bullseye.Pay attention to Brother Lawrence,he won't steer ya wrong :!:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
OK, I admit I'm a bad bad boy. haven't ordered any 1Q in years. Looks like I need to get some again.

Status
Not open for further replies.