Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I'm sure I could. Most of my magazines and tearsheets are in storage, though. But, I have access to much of the original art at our house. Is there anything in particular that you'd be curious about? Thank you for your interest.
That'd be great.
Maybe start a new post "TheIronMonkey Weekly Art Post", or something.
Not sure that there's anything in particular, I just found that it was all great work. The schoolboy in me enjoyed the nude sketches, of course! 😝

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
That'd be great.
Maybe start a new post "TheIronMonkey Weekly Art Post", or something.
Not sure that there's anything in particular, I just found that it was all great work. The schoolboy in me enjoyed the nude sketches, of course! 😝
By the way Eo-Jin has been awarded something from the Korean Government, regarding her art work. I'll PM you with details, if you're interested.

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Years ago, some of the freelance work I did was drawing storyboards for some music videos. I did ones for a Billy Idol video for the second version of "Hot in the City" that got banned on MTV for the S&M depiction, which is pretty tame by today's standards. When I met him, I remember being surprised how big his hand felt shaking it.

I also worked on storyboards for a video that was supposed to get projected onto the big thirty foot round screens when Pink Floyd was doing a tour with multiple cameras around the time of The Division Bell. They didn't get used.

I posted the following in another thread, but, I suspect it didn't get seen by many here. This was one of my earliest freelance jobs I did while I was a senior at the School of Visual Arts; there was an ad on a physical bulletin board with push pins for a music video for a new movie called The Goonies; unfortunately, the song only made the soundtrack, not the film, as I recall. I did the storyboards for this Arthur Baker video/tune, "Eight Arms to Hold You." It was directed by my friend, Peter Wallach (Eli’s son); Peter and I would work on many jobs together in the years following this initial project together (unfortunately, I didn’t get to work on the two stop motion Peter Gabriel animated music videos). It always cracks me up how punk rockers are depicted in mainstream media in '80s movies and this video is no exception:

I did the storyboards for a Nintendo Yoshi commercial:

and I did the boards and designed the gorilla and paper bird for this PayDay candy bar commercial:

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Congratulating you (early) on your 2,000th post. Now go ahead and say a couple more things quickly so I don't look like a schmuck... :ROFLMAO:

Diggin' the work! 👍
Thank you—I posted a couple of things a few minutes ago just so I could make this reply my 2,000th post.

I love music. For me, as a visual artist, I find music conjures a more immediate emotional response in me than visual art. Very rarely do I get moved instantaneously by a painting. Perhaps, it's because I'm processing and thinking about and analyzing a work of art, trying figure it out. Music plays and my foot starts tapping right away. No processing. Because of my love of music, I got into high-end audio around 1995 and have enjoyed the pursuit of reproducing music more accurately since. I know there are several members here that have systems that lean towards that realm.

One of my proudest work associations is Stereophile Magazine. I made some beautiful friendships with editors and writers there. I did a number of feature illustrations for the magazine and I reworked their logo in 2011 because the previous one was so wonky, I took it upon myself to clean it up.

In the '60s, when J. Gordon Holt ran the publication by himself, the logo appeared like this:

822awsi.promost_0.jpg

Below is the May 2011 cover with the logo that bugged me. They debuted my version the following month in June 2011, which combined elements of the 1962 version and the one that bugged me:

Stereophile-Logo-Change-2011-01.jpg

Most audiophiles are familiar with Chesky Records, who are known for their great recordings. I began working with them in 2009 and designed CD and LP covers more to my liking for about ten years. Below are some of them, with some obvious nods to the design of Reid Miles at Blue Note and S. Neil Fujita at Columbia.

a2982135375_10.jpg

a3645506833_10.jpg

a4193902558_10.jpg

a3359355792_10.jpg

a0424902202_10.jpg

a1922285752_10.jpg

a3945803273_10.jpg

a1328940426_10.jpg

a2015151265_10.jpg

a2459969355_10.jpg

a2584046709_10.jpg

a0441616540_10.jpg

a3846577014_10.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Years ago, some of the freelance work I did was drawing storyboards for some music videos. I did ones for a Billy Idol video for the second version of "Hot in the City" that got banned on MTV for the S&M depiction, which is pretty tame by today's standards.
Today you'd be banned for suggesting it might not be appropriate for first graders.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Fantastic body of work!

And a late thanks for info on the Macdonald!
Your works is enviable. they are not only becomes the memory of an era, but also records some point of view.
Time will make them invaluable treasures.
Gratulations !

And……More bikinis ?
Thank you.

Many years ago, I did some caricature illustrations for The Dallas Observer depicting some famous men in bikinis —televangelist, Robert Tilton; baseball player, Nolan Ryan; film director, Oliver Stone; children's show TV host, Mr. Peppermint (I gave the original painting to Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers, as Mr. Peppermint was his dad, Jerry Haynes). I'll have to see if I can find those to post, although, they probably aren't the kind of bikinis you wanted to see.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I thought some of you might appreciate the evolution of a book cover I did about six years ago for a Margaret Millar reissue and some of the thought that went into it:

I think as of last Saturday, I've been a member of this forum for a year—boy, that zoomed by quickly.