PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I had a pipe for sale on the forum from a well-known maker, in very good condition for a blow-out price - $25. I had several inquiries about this $25 pipe, each of which led to drawn-out investigations of various odd specifications beyond the basics, which I diligently followed up on to make the meager sale. None of these conversations led to a sale, which is fine. Part of the gig.

I recently decided to trade a bunch of pipes to a reputable purveyor of such items. I am excited to see them gradually appear for sale on the site. Today, the above pipe turned up with a 1 in front of my asking price. ? Sold in an hour or so. ? Oh the irony! ?? All these people going back and forth, nit-picking over a $25 pipe and it sells for $125 and practically flies off the shelf. ?????

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I bought a Dunhill Shell Briar Zulu 1960s off eBay a few years ago. It had roughly been refurbished, but I knew that it wasn’t a top notch restore. I paid 125$ for it and thought that was a decent price for what I was getting.
A couple years later I send that particular Dunny to SP.com. They ended up selling that same pipe for over 350$. When viewed the photos taken on the site, they didn’t seem to do anything other that buff & polish. ?‍♂️ These things happen all the time, especially for those of us that know close to nothing, or very little about Dunhill & the history. ☕

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I had a pipe for sale on the forum from a well-known maker, in very good condition for a blow-out price - $25. I had several inquiries about this $25 pipe, each of which led to drawn-out investigations of various odd specifications beyond the basics, which I diligently followed up on to make the meager sale. None of these conversations led to a sale, which is fine. Part of the gig.

I recently decided to trade a bunch of pipes to a reputable purveyor of such items. I am excited to see them gradually appear for sale on the site. Today, the above pipe turned up with a 1 in front of my asking price. ? Sold in an hour or so. ? Oh the irony! ?? All these people going back and forth, nit-picking over a $25 pipe and it sells for $125 and practically flies off the shelf. ?????
Never is what you sell is how you sell.