PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As some may have noticed, I like slip joints, especially if they are swaybacks. This particular one, from knife maker Bret Dowell, is starting to show some pocket wear.

View attachment 324837
When it comes to traditional, Swaybacks are among my favorite shapes. Sexy curves and a warncliffe blade. I've come close a couple times to picking up the one Spyderco made a few years back.

I'm enjoying the Sandrin at work- it just glides through everything.
The puukko is actually replacing my paring knife (temporarily? Maybe?)

IMG_8994.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Not sure if the Buck 110 or the Case Sodbuster will get the nod today. Probably the latter. Shown here with the Pete 302 spigot.
View attachment 325117
A Case Sodbuster was my first "real" knife (not counting the off brand SAK clone I got in Cub Scouts). I still have the Case..

Doing the Sandrin/Ban Tang combo today.. never know what a Sunday may bring.

image.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
PM 2 aftermarket scales. It hasn't seen a lot of use but I don't treat it any differently than any other knife. It gets a good amount of pocket time.

View attachment 325672
View attachment 325673
I was just thinking yesterday- despite the popularity of the PM2 and all the adulation it receives, whenever I handle mine I can't help but think it's actually underrated! For anyone considering a full size folder, I can't recommend a PM2 enough. An array of blade steel choices, and near endless options for customizing.

View attachment 325731

I like this Spydie a lot. It's one of those that is symmetrical when open. It is well built, but it also has a few negative aspects that make me think of it as one of the least stellar of the Spyderco models out there, at least among those that I know.
More of an office knife in my mind.. definitely has an Art Deco silhouette.
Doubt I'd buy the model, but I do like it!

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
For anyone considering a full size folder, I can't recommend a PM2 enough.
Amen brother. I just ordered my third one, this time from Dack. It must be older stock because it's in S30V and comes with the standard G10 camo scales. My other two are in CruWear and S90V, so opposite ends of the spectrum. This one will be in the Goldilocks zone. Dack runs some killer deals on Spyderco, caught this one for $128. They had the Raffir Noble Chaparral for $119, but I had to pass.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
It's true, I've always had a penchant for Russian knives. Much in the way we can look at a pipe and recognize the minutiae that signals it having been made by Danish hands, or Italian, et al.
The "Russian Knife Aesthetic" hits the right chord for me. In my past knife life I collected knives with names like Shirogorov and Cheburkov.

This piece is by Custom Knife Factory (CKF), a Moscow based company that brings designs of many varied makers to life. Some of their pieces are hit for me, others miss. I've never actually owned one until now. It's called the Barm, short for Barmaglot (look that one up..) Designed by Alexey Konygin. I could go on and on about the details but I won't. Just a couple pics. Full titanium, zirconium clip, M398 steel harpoon blade (w/ mirror polished swedge).

IMG_9035.jpegIMG_9036.jpegIMG_9023.jpeg

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
It's true, I've always had a penchant for Russian knives. Much in the way we can look at a pipe and recognize the minutiae that signals it having been made by Danish hands, or Italian, et al.
The "Russian Knife Aesthetic" hits the right chord for me. In my past knife life I collected knives with names like Shirogorov and Cheburkov.

This piece is by Custom Knife Factory (CKF), a Moscow based company that brings designs of many varied makers to life. Some of their pieces are hit for me, others miss. I've never actually owned one until now. It's called the Barm, short for Barmaglot (look that one up..) Designed by Alexey Konygin. I could go on and on about the details but I won't. Just a couple pics. Full titanium, zirconium clip, M398 steel harpoon blade (w/ mirror polished swedge).

View attachment 326393View attachment 326394View attachment 326395
I like that one! Very nice!

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

rsshreck32

Lifer
Aug 1, 2023
Western PA
I was watching The Irishman on Netflix the other night. There's a scene where a man attempts to shoot Jimmy Hoffa (Al Pacino) in a courtroom. After the failed attempt, Hoffa and his son both attack the guy and smack him around. Hoffa then says, "If a man pulls a gun, you charge him. If he pulls a knife, you run." Great stuff, made me think of this thread!