PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
What is the best Star Trek Film?

I am going to say Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan.
I like the space battles. Kahn is great. The music is amazing. I've seen it so many times.
I prefer the clean, clinical look of the Enterprise A interiors of Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country, and that was also a great film. But I think ST2 is my favourite. ST6 in second.
1717836405404.png

Last edited:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Tough one for me … I thought First Contact was a blast when I saw it at the theater, and The Undiscovered Country was satisfying, though in repeat viewings feels like a rush job. The Voyage Home is funny as hell; a bunch of college buddies and I went back to the theater a couple times to see that one.

The Wrath of Khan is just terrific. Sold story, usually staged battles between two large, damaged ships, the best villain, and the surprise ending. My only complaint is that it looks like a low budget TV movie.

I’m probably alone in thinking so, but The Motion Picture is my favorite. To me, it’s the best looking of the bunch (including the reboots), the most exotically designed, the best scored, most other-worldly of the Trek films, and gets away with a story without a villain.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I like the "submarine warfare, but in space feel" about 2 and 6.
These are big ships that should not fly around like an X Wing Fighter.
Weapons need to be loaded/charged, aimed properly. Shooting requires power and supplies of power are often limited.

This from 2009 (below) I can't stand. Its not meant to be a Spitfire.
1717956996424.png

Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The choice, to me, depends on whether you're looking for a continuation of the tone and vibe of TOS or taking the film as a looser continuation of the TOS world.

Wrath of Kahn and Voyage Home would probably rank as my fovorites.

The first of the Abrams reboots really showed what you could do with lens flare in an Apple Store.

• Haha
Reactions: ophiuchus