PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Risk is a combination of an event, the probability of its occurrence and the resulting consequences. For example if you are working a project that has a 50% chance of missing the deadline which would result in a $10000 penalty then the risk is a loss of $5000. To some that would be acceptable if not then implementing a risk mitigation plan might be appropriate.

One can apply the same sort of thinking to pipe smoking, or any other activitiy for that matter. In the end it‘s the individual’s tolerance for a risk that determines follow on action. IOW no one can tell you whether your risks are acceptable or not.

Risks that have very low probabilities but have catastrophic consequences are particularly hard to come to grips with. For example the risk of being struck by lightning.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
@johnnyflake My doc wont prescribe it long term do to potential health complications. You can look those up. Its not a harmless medication. Im not a doc but here is a link to some info. Of course they dont happen to everyone but the chances are possible. Perhaps its a good idea to discuss it with your doc and have some labs done.

I do have lab work done every three months, however the work the doc normally request may not be what's needed to determine the problems that may occur from this medication. I will see him again around the middle of June. I will bring this up for discussion. Thanks for the heads-up!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
We all die. It's just a matter of when and how. Smoking is as bad as walking a mile in a city with a bad traffic, or just in a bad neighborhood. I don't think about it. When it comes, I'll be ready. Only if I can make my doctors to shut up about it .

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It is not possible to accurately evaluate the risk of pipe or cigar smoking. I don't believe there is any question both are at least slightly hazardous to your health. Enough to matter or affect your health? Depends on your own body chemistry/DNA, amount used and whether you inhale or not. If you really enjoy smoking a pipe or cigar and you do it in moderation, I wouldn't be that concerned. If you don't really enjoy it, not sure why you would incur the risk and expense.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The unfortunate fact is that “Science” is indelibly tainted by money, politics, power and ideology. The same is true for one of the other pillars of truth, journalism. Together, this erosion of veracity is doing irreparable damage to democracy.
EVERYTHING is indelibly tainted by money, politics, power and ideology. Humans are loathe to give up an unearned advantage and will shit their beds to maintain one.

All this means is that one needs to dig a lot harder and deeper to get closer to something factual and close to objective. Since most people, based on those I've met, won't make that effort, we float through a bubble bath of sincerely believed and/or severely promoted, misinformation.

FWIW, I have similar issues. My pipe smoking has taken a huge hit in the last few years. If I smoke more than a few pipes in a two day period, I can pretty much guarantee that I'll wake up with a sour gut. I approach pipe smoking now as a luxury I can only enjoy once a week and it's something I look forward to.

Isn't getting old great?

Reactions: JOHN72