Are Smoking Pipe Advertisements Legal in the US?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dave Edmonds

Lurker
May 23, 2024
Hello, I am a 34-year retired California peace officer, and now editor of the national print magazine, American Police Beat. I'm also a pipe maker, and I make gift pipes for public safety officers.

My publisher will allow me to publish an advertisement if I can provide proof to his insurance underwriter that such an ad is lawful. This area is controlled by the Food & Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission. Being an old homicide detective, I think I have searched the internet exhaustively to find specific answers, so far, to no avail. I've also tried calling both organizations, unsuccessfully.

The abundance of what I've found seems to *indicate* that it is lawful, but perhaps with tobacco warnings. I paid a law firm to research this, and all I got was (essentially), suppositions and provisos that amounted to "probably ok". Of course, that's not enough to assuage my publisher and his insurance underwriter. Can you provide me with a certain legal answer, or at least useful information?

I haven't seen a smoking pipe advertisement in mainstream magazines in a long time, but I'm guessing it's because of their expense and that we're a niche market and these publications are read by the predominately non-smoking public.

Thank you kindly,
Dave Edmonds
Santa Rosa, CA

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheIronMonkey

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
^what @TheIronMonkey said plus maybe.
I think it's under the category of enough restrictions and too small of a market. I'd suggest asking someone in the organizations that would handle it. I find if you're polite you can often get helped by the people who work there. Even if you can ask them to help you find the documentation about what the current laws are.
Though honestly I think even if was totally not legal it would fly under the radar, while also being not worth it for the optics of going after a magazine about policing.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

I doubt that you are going to get an affirmation that is concise enough to appease any publisher or insurance underwriter.

Legal codes are typically written in a prohibitive sense (Thou shalt not…),
rather than an affirmative sense (Thou shall/may/can…).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome from the Birthplace of Texas.

I doubt that you are going to get an affirmation that is concise enough to appease any publisher or insurance underwriter.

Legal codes are typically written in a prohibitive sense (Thou shalt not…),
rather than an affirmative sense (Thou shall/may/can…).
though it should be somewhere that it specifically lists the restrictions.

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
though it should be somewhere that it specifically lists the restrictions.
There are several federal agencies involved in the regulation of tobacco and tobacco products; all of which readily assert their own authority, while simultaneously deferring to the others.

Sample from the Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB):
The only law that TTB enforces that relates to advertising of tobacco products and cigarette papers and tubes is a prohibition against lottery features and indecent, immoral picture, print or representation attached to such packages. Refer to section 5723(c) of Title 26 of the United States Code. For advertising in general for such products, the Federal Trade Commission may be helpful. The Federal Trade Commission enforces a variety of federal antitrust and consumer protection laws.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

You will also need to check each state's laws where the publication is being sent. Now, if you call them "Christmas Tree ornaments" it might be a different matter.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Congrats on the early retirement! Peace officers need what they can get. By the way, what is a "Peace Officer"? Is it like Police Officer? As to your question, contact your local barristers, lawyers, blood suckers and ambulance chasers.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

You will also need to check each state's laws where the publication is being sent. Now, if you call them "Christmas Tree ornaments" it might be a different matter.
All I can read here is regulations about advertising tobacco products. But pipes aren’t tobacco products. There is a ton of advertisements for pipes especially on this forum.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
All I can read here is regulations about advertising tobacco products. But pipes aren’t tobacco products. There is a ton of advertisements for pipes especially on this forum.
They kind of were under the deeming rules but the advertisement page specific says component or parts are excluded from the warning label requirements of advertisements.

Reactions: UB 40

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Very good question posed here. I’m just lurking to see if there’s a clear answer.

I wonder if you could publish a picture of a pipe without any text specific to its use or function in advertisement. Maybe materials used. I think the intended audience could figure it out.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
It sounds like your publication has limited potential to sell your product. I would place your pipes for sale on E Bay or check with local B&M shops to sell on consignment. Since we are talking about Federal regulations I will refrain from making comments about living in La La land.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Well, a discerning reader might consider that a pipe could reasonably be considered an accessory for use of tobacco and therefore might be covered by the wording of this particular regulation and therefore further research would need to be done to see if there are any regulations or caselaw that specifically covers or excludes pipes. I was only trying to point out that there are federal and state regulations that govern this issue and no simple single rule; ie: you need to check 51 sets of laws.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Well, a discerning reader might consider that a pipe could reasonably be considered an accessory for use of tobacco and therefore might be covered by the wording of this particular regulation and therefore further research would need to be done to see if there are any regulations or caselaw that specifically covers or excludes pipes. I was only trying to point out that there are federal and state regulations that govern this issue and no simple single rule; ie: you need to check 51 sets of laws.
The regulations are for tobacco. "covered" tobacco products and roll-your-own / cigarette tobacco products. „Covered tobacco product means any tobacco product deemed to be subject to the FD&C Act under § 1100.2 of this chapter (i.e., subchapter K), but excludes any component or part that is not made or derived from tobacco (parts 1140, 1143).“

The discerning reader can only come to one conclusion: the us food & drug administration regulates herein the advertisement only of tobacco products, and not of briar, corncob, meerschaum or clay products.

Warning label for pipes:„Inhaling Briar dust can cause ghosts and spectres“

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
This may help you with what your looking for!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I haven't looked at Cigar Aficionado magazine in a while, but I'm pretty sure they still have full page print ads for cigars. I would get a copy of that and see what type of disclaimer they have on the ads. I think it's similar to what they used to put on cigarette ads.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Also, as I said in my email response to you last week - contact Chuck Stanion at smokingpipes.com. He used to be the editor of Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine and I'm sure he has the answer.
Unlike the other replies (including my own) to the question posed in this post, the above might actually prove to be of some benefit. With that being the case, I have to ask:

Did the op (Dave Edmonds) contact Chuck Stanion before registering an account and posting this thread?