PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Title edited for caps and brevity. Rule 9

I am quite curious as a new piper that I am, if you fellow pipers can notice any difference while tasting your tobaccos after you lit if with regular old school matches, a fluid Zippo or a butane lighter.
honestly I don’t feel any difference so I go the easy way and use my Zippo fluid lighter most often, then matches, but haven't tried yet a butane lighter.
Thanks for sharing! Happy pipping.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1697.jpeg
    IMG_1697.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've tried matches, butane and Zippo and honestly, I can't tell the difference. I don't doubt in the least that some here can taste the Zippo fluid when they first light up and if that is the case and you find it objectionable use something else. For me, the Zippo has proven to be the best choice. It's easy, reliable and windproof. I use the regular Zippo insert rather than the pipe insert.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I ultimately landed on the simple Bic. I enjoy using the zippo sometimes but fuel evaporating during non use means I rarely bother with it. Did the match thing for a bit, don’t care for it. I do use a soft flame butane sometimes to change up from the Bic, but I’d say 75% of the time, it’s Bic.

Beyond a puff or two with the zippo, Iv never noticed much difference. Once the flame is away, I have found the taste is all the same.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I notice a slight lighter fluid taste from my zippo but it isn’t terrible. Prefer matches because I get a thorough light and the only time you get a foul taste is if you don’t let the sulfur flare off before you touch the flame to the tobacco. Butane works fine except in wind, nothing beats a zippo in the wind IMO

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Cant tell the difference. Mostly use butane lighters, bic and even hemp wick because it burns at a lower temp apparently.

Unfortunately with the standard zippo insert I can taste the lighter fluid, got the butane one and its fine but it doesn't survive in the wind like a regular insert thus defeats the purpose of a zippo imo.

Matches or hemp wick I like to use inside or on a day where its not breezy.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I find a match makes it easier to get a uniform light of the tobacco surface, especially with a larger bowl. Other than that, I use butane in an Old Boy or Zikar, lately even with a Zippo. The lighter fluid (even the low odor variety) does give an unpleasant taste for several puffs.

Reactions: JOHN72

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For me, there are two variables: Temperature and taste. I like liquid fuel lighters, they're cool, have history, but the smell bothers me and can spoil the taste of the tobacco. That leaves matches and butane lighters. I find matches to be more controllable, temperature-wise, than a lighter. It's easier to consistently get a smaller, cooler flame, which I like. Keeps the combustion temps lower, and less chance of rim scorching. Lighters tend to be a little unpredictable on flame size, depending on the surrounding temperatures. Higher temps=bigger flame. That said, matches aren't very convenient or safe in the car, and are a bit of a PITA to carry around. So I mostly use a butane lighter.

Ideally, a USB-rechargeable infrared lighter would be ideal, like the old plug-in car cigarette lighters. But nobody makes that, as far as I know.

Oh, yes they do! I'll have to look into this!

Last edited:

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
I think a match, preferably wooden so you can take your time, can produce a more accurate flame that can more thoroughly light a bowl. I only smoke outside so for me the windproof quality of the Zippo lighter wins out. I usually have one in a pocket anyway. I fill whichever one is in my pocket on the weekends and have never had any of them run out in between fills. I have one with a pipe insert that works great, a couple of others I’ve modified slightly for pipes and to better work sideways (see the attached photo). If you aren’t careful in the wind, the classic Zippo chimney can darken your pipe rims, but my pipes are all 20 to 70 years old so they look well used. I don’t mind dark rims. I prefer the smell of Ronson over the Zippo fluid, but that’s just because it’s what we had around the house when I grew up.

Another aspect of a nice reliable lighter is that it becomes associated with you and may end up as a treasured keepsake to a family member at some point in the future. The 60, 70 and 80 year old lighters I have from my dad are some of my most cherished possessions and using them definitely enhances my pipe smoking.

Attachments

• Modified Zippo.jpg
    Modified Zippo.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
While I have a nice Zippo, for me is a cheap disposable Bic. That's for no other reason than I always have one on me in a pocket wherever I go. I love them for the same reason I like Missouri Meerschaum. Bits are the cobs of lighters I've always felt.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
My sensation, is simply that the flavor is initial, then it fades, that flavor to match, gas, or the fuel of a zippo, gas lighter, either of any price or brand. The taste is initial, then everything is to enjoy the smoke. That is my experience with these different types of fuels. Everything else is love of liturgy, of romanticism. As for the ignition, the light you give to the tobacco, for me, I am indifferent. A soft flame, without touching the tobacco, has a match, or a lighter, another thing is that you smoke a cigar, then you can use a torch lighter.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can tell a difference but it's not in if the end result tastes better or not. It does make a difference in how you get to that end result. I prefer matches all the way. I feel like it's easier to control the flame it's harder to over light the tobacco (over heat and cause tongue bite or flavor loss). The one I hate to use are bics. You can light a pipe well with a bic but for me it's too easy to over do it. A zippo is great for a pipe too in my opinion. But the main thing is you are trying to get an even light that smolders over a mini bonfire. And the one that fits your style and your circumstances is the best one.