PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Won’t an argon or CO2 purge will just kickstart the anaerobic stage, not stop it? Refrigeration or freezing will slow the aging process, but not stop it. I keep my stash of D&R Acadian Bright in the basement fridge. Maybe gamma radiation is the eay to go?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
We’ve done this with cigars, more as a test, a friend had 2 boxes of Monte #2 that he purchased and vacuum sealed on box and the other box he just left in his humidor. After 10 yrs he cracked them and labeled the sticks 1 or 2 and 5 of us smoked one of each stick and discussed without knowing which was which, it was an interesting experiment.

I would suggest store one bit normally and revisit over time to see the changes, just because you love it fresh now doesn’t mean you won’t love it more further down the road, or at the very least be able to know how it changes for your own self.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
The best way to stop pipe tobacco from aging that I am aware of is to store small amounts of it, say 2oz at a time. Seal it into food storage bags and then vacuum seal them as you would food. You can place the vacuum sealed tobacco in a freezer for long term storage without aging it!

Yes, pipe tobacco can be frozen and then defrosted at some point for use as normal!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Be aware that "Foodsaver" vacuum bags are not oxygen barrier bags. OK for the short term, but I wouldn't feeze anything in them for the long term.