PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

revnatorade

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Title edited for capitals. See Rule 9, please.

So I've been using Pipemasters clean and cure for normal pipes and only tend to break out the rubbing alcohol for really old nasty pipes. Then I had an idea, it's a bit out there I'm sure. Why not take good old Tennessee Moonshine, and I'm not talking about the legal kind, and stick it in a bottle with vanilla beans. I smoke alot of aros so adding a hint of vanilla doesn't sound all that bad. I've got a few older pipes soaking with it right now. I'll let you know how it turns out. My only concern is the sugars that could get leached out of the beans, but I think it will be low enough to not be an issue.
1000010248.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I did use Everclear Alcohol for a long time but, Over the years, I have found that 100% Acetone, from Walgreens, is as good as it gets!
Have you ever passed out while cleaning your pipes?

Acetone isn't going to work better than alcohol and it's more dangerous - also, it vaporizes very quickly.

I assume you're kidding around with us. But I do use acetone to remove CA glue from bad stem repairs, and to remove old stain from briar, but even then, only after I've tried everything else. I'm just not a fan of anything that makes me dizzy when I breath it.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Have you ever passed out while cleaning your pipes?

Acetone isn't going to work better than alcohol and it's more dangerous - also, it vaporizes very quickly.

I assume you're kidding around with us. But I do use acetone to remove CA glue from bad stem repairs, and to remove old stain from briar, but even then, only after I've tried everything else. I'm just not a fan of anything that makes me dizzy when I breath it.
No, I am not kidding you. It really does a great job! It cuts right through glue, paint, tar, et.
Yes, it vaporizes quickly but no faster than Everclear Alcohol.
Yes, you do not want to inhale the vapors, it can give you a buzz!

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
No, I am not kidding you. It really does a great job! It cuts right through glue, paint, tar, et.
Yes, it vaporizes quickly but no faster than Everclear Alcohol.
Yes, you do not want to inhale the vapors, it can give you a buzz!

Maybe I'm highly susceptible to it, but even when I use acetone to clean paint or glue off my hands, I get a buzz.

For glue, paint, I get it. But for chamber cake, there's no need - you ream the pipe and the alcohol is to get rid of the ghosting. It doesn't cut through anything. I've found the easiest way to get that last bit of estate cake out, is to just get it wet and re-ream it. In any case, I've done this with hundreds of awful pipes, and I'm good with avoiding acetone :)

Reactions: revnatorade

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Decades ago, I came across the recommendation to add a few drops of vanilla extract to the alcohol used for cleaning a pipe. There was a plausible reason for the practice, which I've long since forgotten.

I'm with @daveinlax , simple alcohol works very well. Admittedly, sometimes it needs the addition of some elbow grease, but that doesn't negatively effect the flavour of the pipe afterwards.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Decades ago, I came across the recommendation to add a few drops of vanilla extract to the alcohol used for cleaning a pipe. There was a plausible reason for the practice, which I've long since forgotten.

I'm with @daveinlax , simple alcohol works very well. Admittedly, sometimes it needs the addition of some elbow grease, but that doesn't negatively effect the flavour of the pipe afterwards.
We’re getting dangerously close to the “Tonquin beans in my Special Latakia Flake” discussion of many moons ago.

Reactions: grimpeur