Do You have a Pipe You can’t Bring Yourself to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
Northern Briars is a British Pipemaker. The fabulous and genuine Ian Walker is that company. Lovely, lovely guy. Have been lucky to meet/speak a few times. 2018 was Northern Briars 60th Anniversary (Ian's Dad started it all). He did a special pipe. Limited to 60, with certificate of authenticity. I bought No.50 (I was 50 in 2018). I have a few Northern Briars, (lost a great one too), but just can't smoke this one. It's too special. Am I a nutterooni??

Attachments

• 20240322_213154.jpg
    20240322_213154.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240322_213125.jpg
    20240322_213125.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 8

LongIslandPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2022
I have about a dozen or so I have not smoked yet, mostly high grade pipes such as Castellos. But they will all be smoked by me eventually.

I’ve said it here before: the saddest listing on eBay is one for “Unsmoked Estate Pipe” made by some decedent‘s long-lost nephew who inherited it and promptly sold it. Also, if I buy a new Castello for $650 and hide it away for 20 years, chances are it’s probably out of style and not even worth the original $650. Better to have smoked it and let my sons sell it for $300 twenty years from now. Hopefully, I raised them in a manner that they also prefer I enjoyed it now.

These Castellos will hopefully feel the flame before I do:

(Tap on image to enlarge)
That middle Castello, is it a paneled bullcap? If so, I've never seen them make one of those. So cool

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve got one new pipe that was gifted me, and a few of my dad’s that I don’t smoke.
My reasoning isn’t collecting or sentimental, they just have chambers way larger than I lie to smoke currently.
Perhaps someday if I start smoking inside, I shall enjoy them but until then…

Reactions: AroEnglish

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Years ago I bought a Baglan Santa meer. Beautifully carved and I knew when I bought it that I wouldn’t smoke it. It was always going to be enjoyed just as a sculpture.

Reactions: Choatecav

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Nice story

I do have an unsmoked pipe - a cased 1912 BBB bent billiard.
One of the earliest old Britwood in the pile, and bought from a fellow Aussie

View attachment 282045

I fully intend to smoke it - just waiting for the right occasion
I inherited this patent Dunhill Shell poker from my wife's uncle . . . bowl only. It was in rough shape. I sent it to George Debos who made a period-accurate stem and restored the bowl to perfection. A few chips were repaired and fit in invisibly with the blast. George made twenty a step-by-step videos of the process which you can see on Youtube. I'm not going to smoke this beauty.IMG_5690.JPG

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
I'm primarily a pipe smoker, not a pipe collector. That said, I do own a few pipes that I'm satisfied to keep in their unsmoked condition and have no interest in smoking, such as this unsmoked Barling companion set from 1907:
hzZwztQ.jpg

yRocEvK.jpg

And this unsmoked Lindbergh pipe commemorating his transatlantic flight:
Si2uzGF.jpg

xqh35CC.jpg

As well as a few others.

They're like little time machines. Once they're smoked , they're just another old pipe, and I have plenty of those.
Those Barlings are fantastic!!

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
This is my wedding pipe from Grant Batson. I still haven't smoked it. The adornment matches the wedding band he made for me. Perfect execution of my idea. I just haven't brought myself to light it up since I got it in 2017. Here's the vid of the process :
1000013780.jpg