Premier League, Championship League, League One, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Thanks, man. I think it's the best I've seen the Spurs play in years. (And not just because of the score.)!
I only saw the first few minutes, had to turn it off as some relatives arrived. Great score for you though, top four all in your own hands now.

I think Liverpool should have done better. At the end of the season I can see them looking back, when City have won the league, saying, 'that was the game it got away'. If you want to be Champions, you have to win these six pointers. Especially when you have played the much better football.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I mean when I wrote that had you seen the decisions LiVARpool had gotten?
No, but I can say I mostly detest VAR.

Edit: It's great when it overturns a goal by your opponent, or confirms your team is onside in a disputed goal....

Last edited:

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
No, but I can say I mostly detest VAR.

Edit: It's great when it overturns a goal by your opponent, or confirms your team is onside in a disputed goal....
I'm glad you mention VAR. I am one of a tiny minority of people who actually likes it, or at least I see it has potential. I get that it hasn't worked that well since it's introduction to the Premiership. But I remember when they used it first in the last World Cup, and it seemed to work almost perfectly. Not sure why it hasn't been as successful domestically.

But it seems to me, that some of the major flaws with VAR could be remedied if we take a look at American football. Totally different games I know, but hear me out. One of the major criticisms of VAR is that it breaks up the action (something irrelevant to American Football given its stop/start nature anyway). Another, is that if the ref is sent to the screen to review a decision, nine times out of ten he is giving the decision. If, like in American football, and indeed tennis, the manager of each team had three reviews each, per half, this could alleviate both these problems. As in American football, managers won't use a review unless they are certain there has been an infraction. And when the ref is sent to the screen like this, he is not already unduly influenced by the fellow officials who have sent him there. Also, it would stop teams grumbling when a decision isn't reviewed, if they have a problem, speak to their own manager. It seems to me the English FA are being ignorant about the entire thing, and they are not looking to other sports as examples when it has worked out.

Reactions: AreBee

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Thanks, man. I think it's the best I've seen the Spurs play in years. (And not just because of the score.)!
Cool to see another Spurs fan here. I've been a fan since they first put the Premier League on TV in the US. My first memories are the last of Juande Ramos and then into Harry Redknapp. Became a fan that year, well and truly minted by that 4-4 thriller

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cool to see another Spurs fan here. I've been a fan since they first put the Premier League on TV in the US. My first memories are the last of Juande Ramos and then into Harry Redknapp. Became a fan that year, well and truly minted by that 4-4 thriller
Super! I wondered about your handle- and said to my self- Nah, it's just a coincidence... So, Come On You Spurs!.....COYS!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I love American football, but I'm not a big fan of football, aka soccer. I watch it during the World Cup and the Olympics, but that's about it. Though I do enjoy watching the series, "Welcome to Wrexham." I'll watch soccer from time to time, but not very often.

When it comes to the Premier League, I root for Aston Villa F.C. Why, well I have long been a fan of the Heavy Metal band Black Sabbath, and they're from Aston, Birmingham, and they root for their hometown team, so I've always pulled for Villa. Though it's hard to compete against Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Villa hasn't won a title since the early 80's, and the last time they were in the championship was the first year of the Premier League if my memory serves correctly.

• Love
Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Aston Villa is fourth in the table now, with Tottenham Hotspur hard on their heels. City, Liverpool and Arsenal occupy the top three spots.
United is sixth and Chelsea at 12th, are not having a great year compared to their salad days.

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I love American football, but I'm not a big fan of football, aka soccer. I watch it during the World Cup and the Olympics, but that's about it. Though I do enjoy watching the series, "Welcome to Wrexham." I'll watch soccer from time to time, but not very often.

When it comes to the Premier League, I root for Aston Villa F.C. Why, well I have long been a fan of the Heavy Metal band Black Sabbath, and they're from Aston, Birmingham, and they root for their hometown team, so I've always pulled for Villa. Though it's hard to compete against Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool. Villa hasn't won a title since the early 80's, and the last time they were in the championship was the first year of the Premier League if my memory serves correctly.
That is, hands down, the best reason I have ever heard anyone site for cheering for a team. You almost make me want to cheer for Villa lol

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Yankee here who started following PL back in 2018 through my best bud who was a Liverpool supporter. I needed my own team so I picked Wolves as I am a rabid Led Zeppelin fan, and Wolves are Robert Plant’s side. They had just been promoted in 2018 and ever since I have enjoyed the ride. I am now more passionate about Wolves as I am about the American professional teams I follow. (Dallas Cowboys, Boston Red Sox and New York Islanders.) After two 7th place finishes they’ve gone through a couple tough seasons but seem to have righted the ship. Still not sold on the commitment of the ownership, but I’m all in. COYW!

Jun 9, 2018
England
Big game this Sunday - Man City v Arsenal - a real 6 pointer. Can't see City losing at home but we'll see. It's on Sky Sports in the UK and I get that as part of the F1 package I signed up to so I'll be watching. Could be a great game.

Who do you think will win?