PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You think capitalism drove this change?

I looked up why Swan matches quit the strike anywhere match.

The EU had further regulated the chemical for the tip of the match.

Being good capitalists the cheapest solution was to eliminate the chemical.

As to changing the box and logo the reason they did was to sell more matches, at higher profits.

There’s less material used per match in a smaller box. Less shipping cost.

And changing the logo a little gives free advertisement, such as this thread.

I’d never heard of Swan matches before.

I want some, now!.:)

Reactions: Carol

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
All this talk of matches reminds me of a time when paper matchbooks were give-aways at near every cash register and small packs of wooden matches were souveneir/marketing give-aways at nicer restaurant checkouts along with the individually wrapped toothpicks and peppermints. I think I still have a few dozen of those wooden match packs in a brandy snifter somewhere...

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Carol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The reason that strike anywhere matches have all but disappeared is because shippers decided that they represented an unnecessary risk. Shipping costs went through the stratosphere so a number of companies stopped making them as they became unprofitable.
I believe that Diamond still offers them, but others stopped.
Sorry. No political conspiracies, just dollars and cents.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
The reason that strike anywhere matches have all but disappeared is because shippers decided that they represented an unnecessary risk. Shipping costs went through the stratosphere so a number of companies stopped making them as they became unprofitable.
I believe that Diamond still offers them, but others stopped.
Sorry. No political conspiracies, just dollars and cents.
That may well be true in the US, but in the EU (including the UK at the time) they were banned by regulation. I remember the original Swan Vestas disappearing very suddenly in about 2018. Still no conspiracy though!

Reactions: Carol and Briar Lee
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
That may well be true in the US, but in the EU (including the UK at the time) they were banned by regulation. I remember the original Swan Vestas disappearing very suddenly in about 2018. Still no conspiracy though!
But not purely just a financial decision. It was a business decision sparked by government intervention via regulatory policy.

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
Everything keeps getting worse! I thought about going back to the '50s, but did some reading and everyone then was pining for an even earlier era, so I kept working my way back looking for the golden age. I've gotten as far as the 5th century BC, but everyone was complaining that the world had gone to hell since the death of Cleisthenes. I'll keep regressing and let you know when I get to a time that the world didn't suck.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A review of strike anywhere matches, and how to make your own.

The real killer of the strike anywhere matches are disposable lighters and shipping costs.

Each one of these 22 cent lighters will start as many fires as $20 worth of matches.

IMG_7343.jpegIMG_7342.jpeg

And the best of the disposable lighters are a dollar each in quantity and each lighter is good for sixty dollars worth of matches.

IMG_7344.jpeg

I’m older than disposable lighters.

The first ones were Crickets, that cost a dollar, and you unscrewed the case a little to get the gas out.

Then came the Bic lighter.

I didn’t like it when they made them child proof, but they still work.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In a lot of ways Swam is like the manufacturers of buggy whips. It’s a steadily declining market.

You can still buy a buggy whip today, but there are only high dollar good ones for sale, and $10 cheapies.

I’d never heard of a Swan match here in the USA.

IMG_7346.jpeg

But I thought Swan had shrunk the size of their matches.

If I was in a store, and saw both boxes, I’d pay more for the new one..

It’s a longer match, in a prettier box, with a redder tip, and whiter stick.

Upscale.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Swans always came in different sizes.
I still have a couple boxes of the long stemmed large ones I used to relight the pilot light in my old apartment. Nice stout stem. They were better made than the US crap.

When I was a kid my parents kept a box of Diamond Strike Anywhere Matches above the gas range.

At the store there were two brands to choose, Ohio Blue Tip and Diamond.

The Diamond matches cost a tiny bit more, like twenty cents instead of seventeen cents or something like that.

I can’t find any new Ohio Blue Tips for sale.

Swan is trying to upscale their product.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Do Schwanz Vestas work any better than any other match? Pretty sure I tried them decades ago. Must not have made much of an impression on me. Strike. Burn. Toss. Yawn.
Because they were talked up here, I bought a package of the smaller boxes. Mine were duds - kept breaking in half when I tried to strike them. So I'm one of the lucky smokers who didn't get hooked on them, and so isn't now disappointed.