Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Once I stopped adding to my cellar at 400+ pounds, I realized that I smoke more that I had thought. I can easily go through 8ozes in a month, and that is about average. I went through and threw away a lot of stuff, gave away a lot of stuff, with even more that I am certain that I will never open. With all of that, I still only have about 66 year's worth. I need to have quite a bit left when I die to fuel my pyre.
Well, as they say better to have more than not enough. Or better to bring not bring a knife to a gunfight or…something like that. 🤣👍☕

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I think I’m in the 30-40 pound range and that’s probably enough for a long time. I did pick up a 5 pack of last years Saint espresso and I may pick up something intriguing from time to time at this point but I’m comfortable.

I have also been going down the growing road, so that’s hopefully going to be a source at some point as well.
Right…just occasionally re-upping as I do. Too lazy to grow my own, but 🧢s off to yas on your efforts. 👍☕

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sounds like a plan. As for your pipe collection, we are all just custodians for the briar we hold and love. Hate to see your lovely Barlings & Britwood go to the dumpster. Also, I know it’ll suck for you to part with them too. 🙏☕
I'll sell off the "Crown Jewels" of the pipe collection, so they don't go into a dumpster, and donate the Original of the circa 1914 Barllng catalog, of which there is only one known complete copy in existence, to the Huntington. Other stuff will fall where it falls.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I'll sell off the "Crown Jewels" of the pipe collection, so they don't go into a dumpster, and donate the Original of the circa 1914 Barllng catalog, of which there is only one known complete copy in existence, to the Huntington. Other stuff will fall where it falls.
Great idea 💡! Always good to have a retirement plan at the ready…keep a handful of sweet ones for yourself until your twilight time though. 😉👍☕

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
The idea of cellaring is appealing to me, but I've two issues that make me think twice.

First, I rent. If I had my own place and more space, cellaring would be an easier task. I've enough room as it is to have a small cellar, but nothing substantial.

The second is even simpler: I smoke only 1-3 bowls a day on average. Some days I don't smoke at all. So cellaring dozens of pounds of tobacco doesn't strike me as practical, especially when that money could be put into savings so that I may address the first issue. Still, I know it would save me money in the long run, and I know which blends I would stock up on, but even so.

To repeat what I said elsewhere, the surer path to contentment is not to accumulate more goods, but to have fewer wants. I'm happy with what I have right now.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
The idea of cellaring is appealing to me, but I've two issues that make me think twice.

First, I rent. If I had my own place and more space, cellaring would be an easier task. I've enough room as it is to have a small cellar, but nothing substantial.

The second is even simpler: I smoke only 1-3 bowls a day on average. Some days I don't smoke at all. So cellaring dozens of pounds of tobacco doesn't strike me as practical, especially when that money could be put into savings so that I may address the first issue. Still, I know it would save me money in the long run, and I know which blends I would stock up on, but even so.

To repeat what I said elsewhere, the surer path to contentment is not to accumulate more goods, but to have fewer wants. I'm happy with what I have right now.
Hear ya and generally agree. Cellaring is an investment that can pay off later down the road. Like buying low now, as tobacco will never be cheaper & selling on the upswing later. All the while, you have plenty of great 🍂 to sample from. However, there are much more profitable investments to be made. I’m like you…2-3 bowls per day these days and sometimes none at all. 💁‍♂️☕

That has to be a very impressive sight! Love to see some pictures.
I have posted many, many pictures of my cellar over the years. Please excuse me for not feeling like sifting through the bajillions of picture's in my phone's cloud. Boxes all stacked make up the majority, but I do have two cabinets full also. I could probably arrange them to make a more impressive picture, but... it would all just get messed up when I go digging for a blend. You may be able to find them with a forum search.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have a modest cellar that is my attempt to future-proof my hobby, there's no guarantee that today's favorite blends will be available tomorrow.
You’re fortunate to live in NC, Pat

Agree. It makes perfect sense to “future-proof” what you enjoy.

The trick with cellaring is knowing what you like. Really knowing. Knowing a blend or several that you can’t be without.

I’d said in a recent post that I made the right decisions around 4 years back. - I purchased 32 tubs of Granger at $24 each and I’m talking about the big tubs. (I placed orders of 8 tubs on four occasions over the last four years.)

Well let me tell you what happened since…

Those larger tubs are now extinct and Granger is only being sold in the tiny 7 ounce tubs at the same price I’d paid for the big tubs! - I’d have to purchase 60 of those little suckers to obtain the same amount of tobacco.

I’ve also cellared and jarred in that time 6 pounds of Pegasus and 6 pounds of Winchester, respectively.

I’m set. I’m happy. I definitely made a sound decision.

Last edited:

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I’m striving for a modest cellar to guard against price hikes and tobacco extinction. Right now I’m at about 25lbs but think I’ll stop when I hit 35. When I started taking pipe smoking seriously three or four years ago I had a wide cellar but now that my tastes are solidifying the cellar is becoming deeper.

I think a modest cellar is a good idea.

Hutch Piper

(Hutch1904)
Mar 12, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I’m just two years in to the hobby and have cellared a few blends I really enjoy. However, the majority of my cellar is much too wide. Wish I had known then what I know now kind of thing. As such, I don’t plan on purchasing new blends these next few years. Just really trying to focus in on what I really enjoy and then eventually build out a stash of those once I am certain they are keepers.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’m striving for a modest cellar to guard against price hikes and tobacco extinction. Right now I’m at about 25lbs but think I’ll stop when I hit 35. When I started taking pipe smoking seriously three or four years ago I had a wide cellar but now that my tastes are solidifying the cellar is becoming deeper.

I think a modest cellar is a good idea.
25 lbs is a very good place to be. And, modest is in the eye of the beholder. Enjoy the bringing of wide to deep as you go. 👍☕