What is More Common for Stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I always assumed that for most pipes the stem is a single piece. Pipes where the tenon is a separate piece and glued to the stem is more of an oddity / characteristic of a cheaper pipe.

Now I am not so sure. Most of my stems are black so it is difficult to tell, but for my pipes with colored stems I have both varieties (Single piece and two piece)

So which one is more common? Also is it a fair assumption that for most high end pipes the stem would be hand cut from a single piece?

Reactions: fireground_piper

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When talking about Tenons glued in, I’ve always been under the impression, for added strength, the stem and tenon have threads, and the tenons are glued and screwed in. ?

Reactions: cshubhra
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
So far it looks like tenons are glued in (mostly).
Then the question becomes : Which pipe makers make single piece stems
I would be pretty surprised if anyone was cutting genuine threads on their inserts and shanks before glueing.

I know J Alan does single piece because he put out a video about 2 years ago where he mentioned transitioning away from delrin because of the failure potential. His recent videos show him cutting them.

I just went browsing around for a while and apparently no one ever really posts shots of their tenon/shank work which I never realized before today. The rare shots of tenon work were lots of glued type.

I had one of my own fail on me last year and that was enough for me to move right off it.

I would be pretty surprised if anyone was cutting genuine threads on their inserts and shanks before glueing.

I know J Alan does single piece because he put out a video about 2 years ago where he mentioned transitioning away from delrin because of the failure potential. His recent videos show him cutting them.

I just went browsing around for a while and apparently no one ever really posts shots of their tenon/shank work which I never realized before today. The rare shots of tenon work were lots of glued type.

I had one of my own fail on me last year and that was enough for me to move right off it.
I will post some tenon shots soon. I suspect many of them are glued, but the work is so nice it is difficult to tell.

It depends a lot on the care with which the pieces are prepared before gluing.
Tenons made of Delrin or Teflon have the advantage that they are difficult to break and do not stick in the mortise with climate change.
Yes. Failure of a tenon is indeed rare, but not unheard of.

However I have a bunch of pipes with vulcanite tenons. After a smoke they do get tight … but a smoker should be able to handle these minor differences in fit without an issue.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Seems most of my pipes are a briar-only mortis and the tenon is of the same material as the stem. But I do have some pipes where that's not the case, the tenon may be different...and they are not budget pipes. I need better eyes to be honest to tell more.

And I have a few pipes where the mortis is not briar, but an insert that the tenon plugs into. Those are my least favorite. Had at least one fail.

I recall Will Purdy, who's pipes I collected, who said he made pipes from "rod and block" (or something similar). That was it, fewer parts fewer complications and failure. I'm down with simple.