PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Man doesn’t live by Pipes by Lee alone, and my two Oom Paul’s aren’t very much to brag over, and one has a cracked bowl.

So I’m always looking on eBay for a nice, big, bragging size Oom Paul, or the more politically correct modern name of Hungarian.

I was able to win this GBD Midnight grade London Made Hungarian in Colossus size, which the seller claims is unsmoked, for not much more than I’d pay for a White Spot of questionable provenience, and less than a brand new Italian made pipe not as well grained. A hundred dollar bill still buys a nice hunk of briar if you are patient.

I understand GBD had some changes in ownership over the years, and could somebody please school me about what I just bought.

I like an Oom Paul because my family and friends all get a kick out of telling me I look like Sherlock Holmes smoking one.

This ought to be as Sherlock as they get.:)

C544DF9B-C9BD-4DBB-8B34-2DB49E7923E2.jpeg0B9F047F-1C9B-4A2A-95C8-CAF6BFE1D1B9.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why did you wait until the auction was over to ask?

I know it’s a nice big new GBD Oom Paul.

And I know Collusus is the largest size pipe GBD listed.

What reason is one only worth a hundred bucks plus postage?

Is my white logo GBD instead of a brass one the cause of that?

The same pipe with a White Spot and proper Dunhill markings would cost ten times thaf.

What are the differences?

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I know it’s a nice big new GBD Oom Paul.

And I know Collusus is the largest size pipe GBD listed.

What reason is one only worth a hundred bucks plus postage?

Is my white logo GBD instead of a brass one the cause of that?

The same pipe with a White Spot and proper Dunhill markings would cost ten times thaf.

What are the differences?
Lol, you got a deal and you knew it!! Congratulations.

Reactions: Briar Lee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That looks like it would swallow a world of tobacco, for long contemplative smokes. I think pricing on GBD has wavered lately. Iran Ries has a select set of GBD blasts for $60. I think you probably got a fair deal for a smooth finish and an extra large chamber. Earlier, IR had GBD seconds, Medley pipes, for $30, or only $20 if you bought three, but they had flaws and were not the most fetching shapes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Lol, you got a deal and you knew it!! Congratulations.

I didn’t want to ask until I won this thing.:)

Of all the old standard shapes, I think an Oom Paul is about the scarcest. To make a smooth, polished one requires a big piece of briar, especially in the largest Colossus size. This GBD has the proper shape number 9618 for an Oom Paul, and it’s obviously well grained.

I only have two other true Oom Paul’s, neither very fancy, and the Real Briar has a cracked bowl, and the Mastercraft has a filed down button.

I won’t know how to act around a good Oom Paul.:)

EB40246C-3BE6-4FA6-9F8B-D93B24090860.jpeg
Here’s the description:

Here’s a very dressy looking UNSMOKED Hungarian shaped piece housing a whopper of a chamber 7/8th inches in diameter and 2 full inches deep. It would make the perfect clenching pipe whilst reading or doing other tasks. Draft hole is center and a hair’s breadth above the bottom of the chamber. Tenon to mortise union is sound, snug and flush. The matching Cumberland stem bears the production painted GBD logo. Pipe does not accept a filter. Pipe weighs 2. 32 ounces (65.9 grams). No detectable fills. No handling marks. Comes with pipe sleeve, as shown.

Condition: MINT

Weight 2. 32 ounces (65.9 grams)

Length 5 – ½ inches

Bowl width 1 – 5/8th inches

Bowl height 2 – 3/8th inches

Chamber Diameter 7/8th inches

Chamber depth 2 inches

By the way, if that was a White Spot pipe what group size would it be?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That looks like it would swallow a world of tobacco, for long contemplative smokes. I think pricing on GBD has wavered lately. Iran Ries has a select set of GBD blasts for $60. I think you probably got a fair deal for a smooth finish and an extra large chamber. Earlier, IR had GBD seconds, Medley pipes, for $30, or only $20 if you bought three, but they had flaws and were not the most fetching shapes.
Full bent pipes, are not ordinary, everyday shapes, although they are cataloged. This GBD has an Oom Paul shape number, and it’s as big as GBD ever made.

Let’s talk a minute about what makes an Oom Paul (now discretely described as Hungarian) an Oom Paul.

GBD’s Oom Paul has an apple shape, but my other two are full bent, with straight chimney bowls, that rise to the top of the shank.

73D1F2F9-E7BC-4976-8C06-52435D7654A9.jpegIs the GBD Colossus I bought a true Oom Paul? I think it is, just an apple shaped Oom Paul.

1D9CB2EF-AF15-475A-A079-70730224819A.jpeg

Reactions: telescopes

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a late GBD, in the era known as Cadogan, after the 1981 merger with Comoy's. No brass rondell, but a stamp, and the round COM mark, also used by Comoy's in that era. Collectability drops significantly with stamped stems. These also frequently had acrylic stems, but my old reference material suggests the Midnight came with a hand cut tem. Does it have a "Hand Cut" stem? Hand Cut stems typically have a bullet-shaped tenon, and the button is excellent. From my reference:

dark brown -PR
Introduced in 1980(?)
"A touch of class! A rich combination of deep charcoal briar color, complimented with
a matching Hand Cut Acrylic mouthpiece. Surprisingly affordable in the middle
popular price range." -catalog ( 1980 )

I've not really owned one for any significant amount of time, so I can't comment on how they smoke.

Please show then nomenclature and tenon.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Below is a GBD Oom-Paul, a shape 17. This monster weighs 86 grams! Also with a Colossus stamp, largest of the three oversized GBD stamps (and gift from forum member Dave Ward/Weezel). The former owner, Ed Kollar, carved his name in it. From my research, he passed at a Senior home in Ohio a decade or so back.

GBD_Colossus_Oom_Paul_Gallery.JPG

It's been well loved, and a wonderful smoker. In fact, I'll break it out this afternoon, with a raised pipe to Dave and Ed.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I only have two other true Oom Paul’s, neither very fancy, and the Real Briar has a cracked bowl, and the Mastercraft has a filed down button.

View attachment 103213
First of all, I really don't like calling them "Oom Pauls". Yes, I know it's semantics, but I much prefer calling them "Hungarians"

The above two pipes with cylindrical bowls and almost parallel stems are what I would call "Hungarians"

I'd call the GBD a fully bent egg. But that's me

Different makers call their pipes by different names, often with little consistency. We've been down this road previously on numerous occasions, so if GBD calls it a Hungarian, then a Hungarian it is.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Using the better term "Hungarian" instead of Uncle Paulie is p.c.? B.S.!! Paul Kruger was a mother-******* and there is no proof he ever smoked a Hungarian style pipe. I wish "Oom Paul" were stricken from all pipe nomenclature and marketing.

I have two and am very happy with them, though they are still boxed up from my move.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Using the better term "Hungarian" instead of Uncle Paulie is p.c.? B.S.!! Paul Kruger was a mother-******* and there is no proof he ever smoked a Hungarian style pipe. I wish "Oom Paul" were stricken from all pipe nomenclature and marketing.

I have two and am very happy with them, though they are still boxed up from my move.
Right or wrong, here’s the famous portrait of him.

40257BC9-B426-4F77-944B-C0F1A0F8FD40.jpegWhen I was learning pipe shapes in the 1970’s a severely full bent cylindrical bowled large briar was an Oom Paul, if the bowl reached up level with the shank.

The more I look at it, it’s actually a sort of Hungarian Brandy Snifter.

But the 1961 GBD catalog called mine an Apple Oom Paul number 9618.

Pardon me for asking, but is there any controversy over a quarter bent bulldog with a cylindrical shank still being called a Rhodesian?

Cecil Rhodes ain’t on the sainthood list, either.:)

Reactions: trudger and paulfg

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Below is a GBD Oom-Paul, a shape 17. This monster weighs 86 grams! Also with a Colossus stamp, largest of the three oversized GBD stamps (and gift from forum member Dave Ward/Weezel). The former owner, Ed Kollar, carved his name in it. From my research, he passed at a Senior home in Ohio a decade or so back.

View attachment 103229

It's been well loved, and a wonderful smoker. In fact, I'll break it out this afternoon, with a raised pipe to Dave and Ed.
Thats what I think of when oom paul pipes are mentioned,
The apple shape may be classed as one but it is not what I think of
oh and it will always be an oom paul to me not a hungarian

Reactions: Briar Lee
Status
Not open for further replies.