PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Regardless of the exact nomenclature of the shape, this is truly a colossal sized pipe.

5E4B396A-189C-4AB7-9C16-0BEEB92F6F60.jpeg
Can somebody estimate the amount of tobacco this pipe will hold?

It should hold enough Gaslight to induce a coma.:)

Weight 2. 32 ounces (65.9 grams)

Length 5 – ½ inches

Bowl width 1 – 5/8th inches

Bowl height 2 – 3/8th inches

Chamber Diameter 7/8th inches

Chamber depth 2 inches

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Using the better term "Hungarian" instead of Uncle Paulie is p.c.? B.S.!! Paul Kruger was a mother-******* and there is no proof he ever smoked a Hungarian style pipe. I wish "Oom Paul" were stricken from all pipe nomenclature and marketing.

I have two and am very happy with them, though they are still boxed up from my move.
I can‘t imagine this forum embracing PC conventions around our pipes and tobacco. I do not use the name Hungarian and have always preferred Oom Paul as that is all I remember hearing the shape referred to. I never associated it with anything other than a full bend pipe with a tall bowl. Call it a Hungarian if you choose, but let’s not force pipe names on anything based on politics. Pipes and tobacco are articles of history. What is next, changing Oriental tobacco to Asian?

Pipes and tobacco are for adults. To bastardize them by forcing the use of PC conventions on something meant only for consenting adults and on something that is already NOT PC is reason enough to vacate this forum if it ever came to that.

Yes, of course, be mindful and sensitive to all in the pipe smoking community. I applaud the efforts this forum makes to keep conversation civil and conductive of a civilized society.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In researching the internet over the Oom Paul versus Hungarian controversy I discovered an entire society dedicated and reserved for eccentric users of the shape.

It is strange that hillbillies can, and do call each other hillbillies without recrimination.

One Friday afternoon long ago I was walking out of the dormitory with a Missouri Meerschaum clenched in my teeth and a load of clothes to take home to my Mama to warsh, when a Saint Louis boy said out loud:

Are yew goin’ home to Humansville with all them red necks for the weekend?

I dropped my clothes and busted him one, hard before I even thought about it.

He was apologizing and I felt real bad I had such a quick temper over that.

But don’t call a hillbilly a hillbilly or a red neck unless you are one, your own self, because red neck is an insult almost as bad as accusing somebody’s parents of being Arkansawyers.:)

So if there’s no Carrie Nation types around I’ll call this new pipe a full bent brandy snifter.

It ought to hold about a third of a package of Half and Half.

If the average pipe holds three to five grams, this big one should hold a half an ounce.

Reactions: telescopes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can‘t imagine this forum embracing PC conventions around our pipes and tobacco. I do not use the name Hungarian and have always preferred Oom Paul as that is all I remember hearing the shape referred to. I never associated it with anything other than a full bend pipe with a tall bowl. Call it a Hungarian if you choose, but let’s not force pipe names on anything based on politics. Pipes and tobacco are articles of history. What is next, changing Oriental tobacco to Asian?

Pipes and tobacco are for adults. To bastardize them by forcing the use of PC conventions on something meant only for consenting adults and on something that is already NOT PC is reason enough to vacate this forum if it ever came to that.

Yes, of course, be mindful and sensitive to all in the pipe smoking community. I applaud the efforts this forum makes to keep conversation civil and conductive of a civilized society.
My whole point was meant to be that calling that shape Hungarian is not a pc move- at least on my part. I also shudder at any move to become "P.C.", here and elsewhere.

It is strange that hillbillies can, and do call each other hillbillies without recrimination.
Totally agree... come to Western North Carolina and use that word... you will disappear into those hills never to be found again. Make all the jokes you want about their outhouses, tar heels, and bluegrass... but the one stipulation my wife made me swear was to never use that word in NC. They are a proud people, and that words was used to keep them "in their place".

telescopes

My whole point was meant to be that calling that shape Hungarian is not a pc move- at least on my part. I also shudder at any move to become "P.C.", here and elsewhere.
That is how I interpreted your point - what I was really responding to is the innate desire among people to change titles just to be "safe".

Maddening it is.

telescopes

Totally agree... come to Western North Carolina and use that word... you will disappear into those hills never to be found again. Make all the jokes you want about their outhouses, tar heels, and bluegrass... but the one stipulation my wife made me swear was to never use that word in NC. They are a proud people, and that words was used to keep them "in their place".
For years, I have quietly led a movement to bring back the word "cracker".

When I would attend mandated sensitivity classes where everyone would go around in a circle and share with the group their ethnic identity or any identity for that matter, I insisted that I be referred to as a cracker.

I explained, just like everyone else in the group had the right to identify with a particular group and require everyone in the group to use whatever term they deemed necessary for others to use, I had the same right.

My point was never lost on any audience.

Was a bit harsh?

Nay, I just subscribed to the brisket theory of America and not the salad bowl. When you make a brisket, all the flavors join together and if you drop the brisket on the floor, you still have a brisket.

Not so true of a salad.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but for the record, my dad is THE hillbilly.

Cracker implies a white man that when a person of color or anyone really, so much as looks at him wrong, he goes off like a firecracker. A person with a sensitive nature, easily provoked. A snowflake.

It had nothing to do with saltines. It had everything to do with the pre-Revolutionary war and Ethan Pratt's Hornet's Nest of North Georgia.

Reactions: Briar Lee

telescopes

Cracker implies a white man that when a person of color or anyone really, so much as looks at him wrong, he goes off like a firecracker. A person with a sensitive nature, easily provoked. A snowflake.

It had nothing to do with saltines. It had everything to do with the pre-Revolutionary war and Ethan Pratt's Hornet's Nest of North Georgia.
My point is I don‘t care because my identity is not forwarded by a parochial nomenclature. I am a person, one human being amongst many others and that my identity rests solely on me and not on any group. Stereotypes are only possible if one maintains an effort to identify with a group knowing fully well that all groups are diverse in their make up and not homogeneous in their thinking. So, given efforts by others to force me into identifying with a group against my own predilections, I choose a group since that is my right and I choose one they will have to acknowledge and at the same time do so while being offended. If one would prefer I NOT make them use the word cracker, then I suggest they not require me to choose a group.

Wouldn‘t you agree?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Harry Hosterman squatted down on his haunches, filled his little Dr Grabow pipe with one pinch of Prince Albert, and once when only us old time Christians only were around, he related to my Daddy a story. Once while he was In His Service, he said that the Master guided him unseen, to a place in Spout Spring Hollow where he thought he’d find good, straight and true white oak stave timber, but instead met a stranger, who was lost.

Harry said he led the stranger out of the timber, to where he claimed he’d left his car, but when they reached the clearing, there was no car, and he turned around and the stranger, had vanished.

But there all around on the leaves, were scattered rose petals, from the Master’s bouquet.

PAPER ROSIE

Those who believed that Christ saved you one time, in a moment of amazing Grace, would often try and insult us old time Christians by calling us Campbellites.

Unlike being called a red neck or an Arkansawyer, we always considered being a Campbellite something of an honor and privilege.

But Harry didn’t worship Alexander Campbell or any other man, and he wouldn’t kneel for anything, unless he was truly cornered and there was no other good option.

But even Harry Hosterman would kneel and pray when some Baptist knelt to pray. He didn’t like it, but I’ve seen him do it.

I suppose I can all this pipe something, that doesn’t offend anybody who’s not offended by brandy snifters.

An Hungarian might get offended, calling a full bent brandy snifter a Hungarian, you know?

• Love
Reactions: telescopes
I am a person, one human being amongst many others and that my identity rests solely on me and not on any group
This is absolutely not true. You may not realize this, but you're a white guy. You may not like it, but you're going to be judged by that, whether you like it or not.

Harry Hosterman squatted down on his haunches, filled his little Dr Grabow pipe with one pinch of Prince Albert,
You guys really should look into larger pipes.

Unlike being called a red neck or an Arkansawyer, we always considered being a Campbellite something of an honor and privilege.

Those who believed that Christ saved you one time, in a moment of amazing Grace, would often try and insult us old time Christians by calling us Campbellites.

Yes, that is because followers of Campbell called themselves this, as per several dictionaries I just checked online. It's like telling people to call you Bob and then getting offended when someone calls you Bob.

n Hungarian might get offended, calling a full bent brandy snifter a Hungarian, you know?
Wait, were people offended that they were named after a Nazi Boer in South Africa, or were the Hungarians pissed?

telescopes

@Briar Lee I have found that any man who can’t stand being offend from time to time isn’t a man who stands, but is o e already
This is absolutely not true. You may not realize this, but you're a white guy. You may not like it, but you're going to be judged by that, whether you like it or not.
Wrong. I’ve been listed all my life as a Pacific Islander. On every document I’ve ever signed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

I was told as a youth that the term originated from the drivers of slow and under horsed wagons of the late 19th and early 20th C. Florida and adjoining states, i.e., Bama and George-A.

The cargo generally being ....? Fertilizer? (Anyone?)

Such drivers were tough enough to endure long hours cracking whips through all weather to try to keep their loads moving. No snowflakes nor pussies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
<< Snipped bits out >>

Wait, were people offended that they were named after a Nazi Boer in South Africa, or were the Hungarians pissed?

Who the f*** did the re-naming?? They were "Hungarians" before some started calling them "Oom Pauls". The latter name is cute, warm and cuddly compared to "Hungarian" and hopefully is the only reason the name is used widely now.
Paul Kruger wasn't just a Nazi, but a true m-f of a leader. No proof he smoked that shape, either.

@Briar Lee I have found that any man who can’t stand being offend from time to time isn’t a man who stands, but is o e already

Wrong. I’ve been listed all my life as a Pacific Islander. On every document I’ve ever signed.
You don't get to choose how people stereotype you.

Such drivers were tough enough to endure long hours cracking whips through all weather to try to keep their loads moving. No snowflakes nor pussies.
No, not pussies at all. Snowflakes are supposed to be easily offended, and yes the crack of the whip is very much like a firecracker, right? I have no idea about the fertilizer, nor was aware of any connections between North Georgia and fertilizer. But, the term came from them being easily offended and quick to beat down a man.

The term is Georgia Cracker. From the North Georgia Mountains, read up on your Ethan Pratt, fascinating stuff.

Paul Kruger wasn't just a Nazi, but a true m-f of a leader.
He was more sympathetic to the Nazis during WW2 than the British, as the Boers and English always had been at odds, politically and socially in South Africa. During WW2 the Boer communities were prepared to offer the Germans aid and thwart British opposition. I don't know if I'd say anything nice about a South African Aparthied ruler though, English or Boer. Fuck them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.