What Is a Pipe You Regret Not Purchasing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Some desperate-looking guy was once trying to sell me an old estate $6.10 pipe for $20.00. Twenty bucks!

I’m not paying more than three times what it was worth new, even if it is a 6.10. Or six-ten, or whatever the hell it was. I’m no sucker.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
The one and only pipe I am sorry not to have obtained is actually a cased set of two pipes up for auction on eBay. 1915, my father's birth year, and Barlings, in really mint condition. It wasn't that I didn't pull the trigger, it was that my opponent had a deeper resolve to own it. So when it reached about twice market value I let him have it. Other than that I could care less.
Holy hell! 1915! 106 years ago. Would you have smoked them if you won?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think it's way cool that you guys know the exact pipe that got away. However, I think the question is badly stated, because that pipe would have cost some amount of money. Before I spend $100.00 or more, I give it a good think, and I doubt that you do no less. Because it's a pipe you adore you are supposed to have no hesitation?

Reactions: DangerStranger

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I think it's way cool that you guys know the exact pipe that got away. However, I think the question is badly stated, because that pipe would have cost some amount of money. Before I spend $100.00 or more, I give it a good think, and I doubt that you do no less. Because it's a pipe you adore you are supposed to have no hesitation?
In my case it was an auction which turned into a game of chicken and I blinked. That used/uncleaned pipe sold for about $1000. I hate that it got away, but I did get two others by the same maker for less out of pocket. So, I'll live.

Reactions: OzPiper
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
For me there is always hesitation. I would have more pipes than I do now had I won the auctions. Many times I put a bid and then regret it because my inital impression led to no hesitation.

Also, recently I wanted a Peterson Army Mount 999. I hesitated several times. Then, I found the Derry line of Petersons. Looking back, I am glad I hesitated on the 999.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Very , very few of us are rich collectors who can drop a large sum of money, $500.00, $1000.00, $5000.00, without giving it a thought or setting their finances reeling. That being the case, how can we spend as if we were? If we're going to do it anyway, due consideration, I should think, is required. If the pipe gets away in the meantime, nod at fate.

Reactions: tobefrank

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
A 1920's-30's Oppenheim reverse poker style('tophat and tails' style) - the original box has swastikas on it
I love reverse pokers and they aren't made anymore - saw a filthy one on ebay - was about to outbid at $40 and have it restored- last minute I decided would take too much time and money for a pipe

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
A 1904 Motor would have been an amazing find, especially since Barling didn't patent the design until 1906. Perhaps the seller got it wrong?
Probably or I am wrong about the date. It was a estate sale on line I found. It was pristine from the Pics, and lots of good pics. They were asking like 595. Or something close to that, under 600. I said no, then not 10 minutes later I thought I’ll never see that again and went to buy and some other bought it. Maybe someone on here. I haven’t seen it posted in the circles I run.