PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I am old school and I am not ashamed.
I have always found my method especially effective for how I like to break in a new/estate pipe.
First: I coat the bowl with a very lite coating of honey.
Second: I find a particular piece of music that helps me slow down.
I fill my new acquisition with my favorite Cavendish.
Third: false light light tamping moderate exhale(to keep it lit)
Forth: Tamp town excess tobacco.
Fifth : Relight (true light)
Fifth: Enjoy
Everyone has their own ritual/method.

This is mine.

Anyone else?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
For new pipes I remove the factory bowl coating and coat with honey. I personally dislike bowl coatings. Estates get sanded down to bare briar with 200 grit which will remove any ghosts and coated in honey. I generally break in with half a dozen bowls of Va, Bur or Va/Bur before smoking the genre I decide that pipe will be dedicated to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've observed the rituals described in the original post, and also the part where I smoked a third of a bowl to get carbon going in the bottom of the chamber, the advanced to two-thirds of a bowl, before graduating to a full bowl. After I'd done all that about a dozen times, I think I received a new pipe when I was busy otherwise and just packed it and smoked it, and decided that was sufficient. But I like the ritual, and think it may be a good way to focus on a pipe and enjoy its newness. But I don't do it much anymore.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I do a light honey coat on a freshly reamed estate, and only if I plan on smoking virginias or aromatics out of it. For an English I just start going at it.
New pipes just get filled and burned. I'm kinda having a hard time finding new pipes at a reasonable price that aren't already pre carbonized. I'm sure If I were to spend multiple hundreds of Canadian Pesos i'd be able to get one, but not really ready to spend that much just yet.

C

carolinasmokes

Most bowls today are coated and don't really require a break in so to speak, just load and go. If I should have an uncoated bowl to break in the only thing I do prior to the first smoke is lightly moisten the bowl with a little saliva on my finger.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I never tried honey, but I have coated bare briar with a mixture of activated charcoal (capsules) and organic sour cream. I was skeptical w/this concoction, but it holds up surprisingly well. Otherwise I just load, light, and go while making sure that I don’t overheat the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.