PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
As a general rule you will probably find that morta gets hotter (not smokes hotter) than most briars. Therefore, you might want to try smoking more slowly. It has been often said that Morta pipes favor English and Balkan blends and do not heighten the flavor of aromatics. I have found that Morta, like some Meerschaum, requires a period of getting used to as there is sometimes a funky flavor at first. Youe experience may differ. You should avoid letting cake build up too much in a Morta pipe. Good luck.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I noticed that one of my mortas was developing a couple of "burn spots" in the bowl. It may be a coincidence, but this is the lightest coloured and lightest/least dense of my mortas. My suspicion is that this pipe was made of much younger material than the others.
I coated the inside of the bowl with a thin layer of pipe mud, and carefully built up a thin cake. It has been smoking fine since.
I have not bothered with cake buildup in the other mortas. After a smoke, I use a folded cleaner or two to wipe out the bowl and assiduously scrape off any tobacco fragments that might be stuck on.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have several, and I like them.

As far as breaking in and smoking, do as you would with a briar.

I let a thin cake develop, just as with a briar. Morta is mineralized Oak. Comparisons to Meerschaum are ridiculous and misguided. Meerschaum is a mineral and hence won't burn (not pipe temperatures, anyway) whereas Morta, which is wood, will. Now, on the other hand, fossilized wood, which is more of a mineral, due to the processes (extreme heat and pressure) and time spent in the ground (millions of years), is much less likely to burn, probably even if you took a cutting torch to it...

Morta, Oak, which is a hardwood is more susceptible to charring than briar, in my opinion, so having a cake there to provide some insulation is beneficial. I base this on my own limited personal experience, not years of methodological double blind testing, so take it for what it's worth.

FWIW, here's an article that describes burning bog oak (Morta)Bog Oak

I think I have enough disclaimers in here so as not to get flamed further down the thread... :LOL:

Last edited:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I like morta. It’s a more fragile wood than briar, so you have to take a little more care with drilling out mortises, and I wouldn’t want any thin walls on the pipe anywhere. It is more susceptible to splitting in my experience. If the thickness is sufficient it’s durable enough though. Supposedly it doesn’t ghost easily. I’ve only smoked Latakia blends in my one morta, so I cannot attest to that.
I use it in knife handles often.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I have two mortas, a calabash by Mimmo Provenzano (with multiple cups) and a tomato squash by Il Duca (Massimiliano Rimensi). I love them and they smoke very well. While most of Mortas are smoked with English/Balkans mixtures, as mine have small bowls I use them with strong Virginia flakes or ropes and as said they smoke very well. Similarly to meers they are more neutral than briars rendering better the true tobacco taste and less prone to ghosting. They get hotter than briars (not the calabash really) but the smoke is fresh (particularly the calabash) and also they cool down faster than briar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no Morta's. I don't plan on getting any. People who I trust told me I would hate them because of the weird flavors you get as I don't smoke any Latakia blends. I smoke mostly Virginia flakes and Vapers and Vaburs all of which are mostly Va based.

Reactions: danimalia