PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I imagine this has been asked before but forgive me for asking, what’s the general consensus on Falcon pipes? I just got an estate in the mail this morning, a standard with two bowls, a bulldog and a Genoa. I’ve smoked from both today with different tobaccos and I must admit that I’m really enjoying it. The small bowl is perfect for a quickie and there’s nothing but dry ash in the bottom of the bowl.
I’m no aficionado and frankly I’ve never cared for general consensus so I’m gonna say I think I’m rather impressed.
I also got this rather groovy Falcon pamphlet with it. Please ask if you want to see the whole thing. Looks like it’s from the 70/80’simage.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
Yes, I'm a big time Falcon fan. I've got 20 bowls and 10 stems.

That is hardcore! I plan on buying a couple more of each soon. For some reason I bought this "graphite" finished bowl which I really dislike. One small qualm I have about my stem is that sometimes pipe cleaners sort of catch an edge between the bit and stem. Btw, how often do you recommend changing the gaskets?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
That is hardcore! I plan on buying a couple more of each soon. For some reason I bought this "graphite" finished bowl which I really dislike. One small qualm I have about my stem is that sometimes pipe cleaners sort of catch an edge between the bit and stem. Btw, how often do you recommend changing the gaskets?
I love my Falcons. I have seven bowls and three stems. Some people think they are ugly, but I find function to have it's own beauty. I've owned a billiard bowl since 1972 and the gasket is still perfect!

Jan 27, 2020
I love my Falcons. I have seven bowls and three stems. Some people think they are ugly, but I find function to have it's own beauty. I've owned a billiard bowl since 1972 and the gasket is still perfect!

That's exactly how I feel, often elegant design comes out of functionality, I can think of many examples with clothing. A lot of these high value, ornate pipes are ugly to my eye and honestly I don't need a statement pipe in my life as I'm obnoxious enough already.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
That's exactly how I feel, often elegant design comes out of functionality, I can think of many examples with clothing. A lot of these high value, ornate pipes are ugly to my eye and honestly I don't need a statement pipe in my life as I'm obnoxious enough already.
You're my kind of pipe smoker, and at risk of offending others, I agree re ornate pipes that look like a ham bone!

Jan 27, 2020
You're my kind of pipe smoker, and at risk of offending others, I agree re ornate pipes that look like a ham bone!

Thank you Edgar! I'm surprised you're based in AZ, you seem English in your sensibility. Coincidentally, I recall reading Sir Anthony Hopkins saying that before he got sober that he drove from LA to Phoenix without any recollection of the trip except never relighting his Falcon.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
My falcon is a crucial pipe in my arsenal. I have a Meer-lined bowl which I use to smoke aromatics or anything with any lasting pungency which I haven't had before.

The Meer bowl is easy to clean, is resistant to forming a strong ghost, and obviously the Falcon stem doesn't ghost at all.

I need to pick up a large bowl though, as many of the Falcon branded bowls aren't large enough for me to really test out the moisture-managing properties of the design.

Jan 27, 2020
My falcon is a crucial pipe in my arsenal. I have a Meer-lined bowl which I use to smoke aromatics or anything with any lasting pungency which I haven't had before.

The Meer bowl is easy to clean, is resistant to forming a strong ghost, and obviously the Falcon stem doesn't ghost at all.

I need to pick up a large bowl though, as many of the Falcon branded bowls aren't large enough for me to really test out the moisture-managing properties of the design.

KBV currently has some tall chimney types that might be suitable. Those with the meer lines bowels, have you seen any degradation to them over the years? As I understand they're a sort of meer paste applied to the briar?

Reactions: edger
Jan 27, 2020
You don't have to change the bowl gasket unless it becomes damaged. A good thing to do is after each smoke wipe off the bottom of the bowl which includes the gasket. Also take an old toothbrush and scrub the threads in the bowl.

Thank you sir. I do generally wipe the bottom of the bowl, also, I keep wire cutters in the car to make dry rings.

Reactions: edger and ray47

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Thank you Edgar! I'm surprised you're based in AZ, you seem English in your sensibility. Coincidentally, I recall reading Sir Anthony Hopkins saying that before he got sober that he drove from LA to Phoenix without any recollection of the trip except never relighting his Falcon.
I have been a Britiphile since birth. My mother was from Ulster so I can't say Anglophile as readily. I played with Dinkytoys and read Beano as a child.
Next time I drive to LA I'll be sure to be pissed and have a Falcon in my teeth!
Where are you located?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

Try a Hyperbowl. It's like a deep Dublin and holds a bit more than the standard.

Reactions: spicy_boiii
Jan 27, 2020
I have been a Britiphile since birth. My mother was from Ulster so I can't say Anglophile as readily. I played with Dinkytoys and read Beano as a child.
Next time I drive to LA I'll be sure to be pissed and have a Falcon in my teeth!
Where are you located?

Ah ok, you have retained a British heir (pun intended), your mother would be happy. I grew up in New Jersey but live in NYC, for a good while now. Not sure exactly the difference between Brit and Anglophile, I do enjoy both Jermey Brett as Sherlock and Welsch Rarebit. I am part Irish so no relation to any of these things.

Reactions: edger

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
KBV currently has some tall chimney types that might be suitable. Those with the meer lines bowels, have you seen any degradation to them over the years? As I understand they're a sort of meer paste applied to the briar?

Thanks I'll check it out.

There's a weird gluey substance near the bottom of the bowl below the Meer coating. I only noticed it when it was new and wiping out the bowl.

As far as the rest of the bowl, I've had no issues, and it deals with abuse pretty well. I'd say I have maybe 200 bowls through it so far. I'd buy it again, price was right (maybe $40?).

Status
Not open for further replies.