PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You have to wonder if they were re-selling or were smokers themselves looking to maximize their pipe budget.

If the former, your sniffer should be able to find some used pipes for sale ads. Maybe with the same phone number.

(You should have been a TV detective, JG)

Reactions: guylesss

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I remember being offered "estate" pipes at the Tinderbox in Seattle back in the 1970s. I admit I was horrified at the idea and it took me a long time to come to terms with it. I can also recall being shown a whole box of high-end briars that had been collected by a serviceman during WW2 which were being sent to one of the big New York auction houses, though I didn't expect that anyone was going to smoke them.

Reactions: danish

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
With Pipe and Book had large fitted cases of estates for as long as I can remember (mid 80s). You just never saw them, they were kept out of sight under the counter.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, those pictures are terrific.
I'd heard of those mailing lists (Rich Esserman often talks about them in his monthly TPC article), but never seen one in the flesh.
Shape numbers seemingly not that important.
In the price list, Sasieni Four Dot prices are very low, Barlings definitely commanded a premium price.
Fascinating, thanks for sharing and photographing those items!

While cleaning my garage I found a small bag of these mailers last year and didn’t have the heart to toss them. Maybe 40 or so from Nikos Levin, Edwards in Dallas and R and B.
Here are some (crappy) photos of a N.L. mailer from ‘95
View attachment 43249View attachment 43250View attachment 43252View attachment 43253

Reactions: mawnansmiff

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The same with Victorian meerschaum pipes. The carved stuff used to go for crazy money, the plain 'cutty' ones I have collected could be had for a few Pounds especially if you purchased the ones with broken stems and distressed cases. A trip to Shervingtons in Tottenham Court Road and a new stem and completely refitted case for Thirty Pounds and you were good to go.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ask the right question on Forums and there is no telling what you can learn. More! More! Terrific information.

Status
Not open for further replies.