PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe I remember seeing used pipes, now called estate pipes, in antique shops and flea markets years ago, like in the 1980's. I do not remember seeing them offered at pipe shops or anywhere pipes were sold. Was there a high-end pipe market for reselling up market pipes going back before the internet? Or did the used pipe/estate pipe market become a thing only after the internet arose? I just don't remember anything before I was on the internet. Some years I was pipe smoking, and many I was not, so my memory on it is patchy. Other "mature" members and maybe people in the business might be able to answer this, in part.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
There was a market for used pipes in England during WW2 driven by war-related shortages; not sure how big it was or how long it survived the gradual resumption of production.

Reactions: guylesss and mingc

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Estate pipes as we think of them today had a very specific beginning.

A man in Craftsbury, Vermont named Barry Levin bought collections mostly from widows, and mostly at retirement homes (women usually live longer than men, plus are usually younger than their husbands to start with) for $15 a bowl---quality name brands only---and then paid $15 a bowl for Jimmy Cooke (who lived just down the road) to clean them up.

Conceptually, the business idea was: "I'm devastated that Henry is gone, but at least one good thing will come of it... The end of those damn pipes!" lol

The cleaned pipes were then laid on a bed-sized flat area next to number cards and photographed, and thousands of copies of the photos were physically mailed to many hundreds of collectors, along with a typed price list. There were usually 8-10 prints in each mailer, with 25-40 pipes in each shot.

It started in the mid-late 1980s and was in full swing by the early 90s.

Until then, people mostly threw away old pipes because "re-using" them evoked thoughts of used personal items like toothbrushes and underwear.

Barry, however, made people realize that glasses and silverware in restaurants had most assuredly been used by someone else, also sheets and towels in hotels---by hundreds of people, in fact---and that purifying and sterilizing pipes was the same thing. He coined the term "Estate" pipe to get away from the "used" pipe label to create some distance as well.

I'm sure of all this because I was there. I helped Barry do some of the actual work, in fact. They were glorious times. He was one of those Larger Than Life guys you hope to meet every day but rarely do.

He died both unexpectedly and suddenly in early March, 1994.

The PipeWorld---and my world---has never been the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I feel sure that some of the high end pipes by name carvers must have resold between ardent smokers and collectors, but it sounds like Barry Levine came up with a business concept that widened the market. Even some of the online retailers still seem a little uncertain, keeping pages online where nearly every pipe is sold, but SP has taken it to the next level, with individual pipes photographed and graded, with condition accurately noted. It is an obvious resale opportunity, but it took the internet to make the volume and profits worth the effort. Judging from the factory pipe market of U.S. made briar pipes, it may be edging out some of the new pipe market. The widows cashing out the deceased husband's pipe gave the refinement of calling them estate pipes. Also, the high prices on many artisan and some factory pipes makes the resale almost inevitable. Most pipe smokers don't want to lay out six hundred or a thousand USD for a pipe; that requires some lofty discretionary spending. Further lore, history, and background is of interest.

Reactions: mingc

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Interesting topic. Not sure of the genesis, but you can certainly get great deals... I use to think that I wouldn’t want a used piped, but then someone on this forum pointed out that people eat off used utensils/silverware at restaurants, so what’s the difference... and it made sense.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.

A man in Craftsbury, Vermont named Barry Levin bought collections mostly from widows, and mostly at retirement homes (women usually live longer than men, plus are usually younger than their husbands to start with) for $15 a bowl---quality name brands only---and then paid $15 a bowl for Jimmy Cooke (who lived just down the road) to clean them up.

Conceptually, the business idea was: "I'm devastated that Henry is gone, but at least one good thing will come of it... The end of those damn pipes!" lol

The cleaned pipes were then laid on a bed-sized flat area next to number cards and photographed, and thousands of copies of the photos were physically mailed to many hundreds of collectors, along with a typed price list. There were usually 8-10 prints in each mailer, with 25-40 pipes in each shot.

Until then, people mostly threw away old pipes because "re-using" them evoked thoughts of used personal items like toothbrushes and underwear.

Barry, however, made people realize that glasses and silverware in restaurants had most assuredly been used by someone else, also sheets and towels in hotels---by hundreds of people, in fact---and that purifying and sterilizing pipes was the same thing. He coined the term "Estate" pipe to get away from the "used" pipe label to create some distance as well.

I'm sure of all this because I was there. I helped Barry do some of the actual work, in fact. They were glorious times. He was one of those Larger Than Life guys you hope to meet every day but rarely do.

I love this post! Truer words were never spoken.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands

Was this in any way connected to the emergence of artisan carvers like Sixten Ivarsson?

Reactions: SoddenJack

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
The first place I saw a number of estate pipes For sale was at a place in New York on 42nd Street near Grand Central This was in the mid 1980s. I can’t recall the name but perhaps someone else knows the store.

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
While cleaning my garage I found a small bag of these mailers last year and didn’t have the heart to toss them. Maybe 40 or so from Nikos Levin, Edwards in Dallas and R and B.
Here are some (crappy) photos of a N.L. mailer from ‘95
View attachment 43249View attachment 43250View attachment 43252View attachment 43253
Very cool. You kind of forget how things were done before the internet (I can still remember getting price lists of collectibles and concert bootlegs faxed to me). How were the prices back then compared to today?

Reactions: canucklehead

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
While cleaning my garage I found a small bag of these mailers last year and didn’t have the heart to toss them. Maybe 40 or so from Nikos Levin, Edwards in Dallas and R and B.
Here are some (crappy) photos of a N.L. mailer from ‘95

Nikos was Barry's son.

Not long before Barry died, he decided to start repping some carvers & selling new pipes in addition to estates. So his company LPI (Levin Pipes International) split off the NML business to do it, which was turned over to Nikos.

Shortly after he died, Nikos chose to re-combine the two businesses under his own name.

For many reasons---none of which I will go into except that Nikos was only a teenager and the original intention was for his slice to be a training ground, so he wasn't ready---it failed soon thereafter.

By '95 several other outfits had sprung up after seeing the success of LPI.

Boy, those photos bring back memories...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Was this in any way connected to the emergence of artisan carvers like Sixten Ivarsson?
In America, yes.

Those guys had all been carving for decades, but their output was sold almost exclusively in Europe.

I remember Barry receiving six Jess C. pipes, and when he couldn't sell them for $600 (!) calling his friends to help him out by buying one. That he'd had to argue long and hard to score even those few, and had promised Jess the American market was ready and would eat them up.

"He'll never sell me another if these don't move!" he said.

I bought two.

No idea what I was getting, I just wanted to help.

Traded both for some English pipes not long after.

If I'd only known then what I know now. rotf

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I recently spoke to one of my uncles who has been smoking pipes since the mid-fifties about this very thing and he was very clear on “estate pipes”.

He had zero clue what they were.

I showed him some of my pipes dating to the late 1800’s and he told me that his father taught him “smoke the pipe until it won’t smoke anymore, toss it and grab another.”

He smokes at least five bowls a day and the most pipes he’s ever owned at one time was four, that’s because his rack had four slots.

I then showed him pictures of my racks and he asked if I was insane.

That’s a normal pipe smokers opinion. I’m a collector/smoker.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sorry, @georged, I don't mean to pick on you, but this is a terrific sentence!
Indeed. LOL The 21st century's more-compact-is-better "implied subject speech" has some unintended consequences from time to time, doesn't it?

I'll never cross over to the fully Dark Side, though. Some of that abbreviation stuff is indecipherable.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc
Status
Not open for further replies.