PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For people new to pipe smoking, who don't know their preferences so well, a pound is probably not a good bet. It might be something that will be enjoyed over time, but often tastes change. But if you've been at the pipe for a while, and you've zeroed in on what you enjoy as a base leaf, what as condiments, and flavoring if any, and brands and cut, you can usually order a pound, even when you don't know that specific blend, and come out alright. Otherwise, give it away to friends, trade it for something else, or let it age in high hopes. I've been enjoying a wide variety of blends, so I don't buy a pound more than once a year.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
For people new to pipe smoking, who don't know their preferences so well, a pound is probably not a good bet. It might be something that will be enjoyed over time, but often tastes change. But if you've been at the pipe for a while, and you've zeroed in on what you enjoy as a base leaf, what as condiments, and flavoring if any, and brands and cut, you can usually order a pound, even when you don't know that specific blend, and come out alright. Otherwise, give it away to friends, trade it for something else, or let it age in high hopes. I've been enjoying a wide variety of blends, so I don't buy a pound more than once a year.

Agreed. Unless I'm quite sure that I love a blend, and I've smoked a lot of it, I usually just order 4 ounces (if it's one that comes in bulk). That's one pint sized mason jar full, and it takes a while to smoke through. There are other blends to explore, and you might decide there is something similar you like better. IMO you're better off going with 4 ounces of 4 different well-rated blends rather than a pound of just one until you've tried many blends in any given genre and know the ones that will be worth ordering by the pound.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
For certain, I probably smoked 4 ounces before I plunged.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The Kilo of Directors Cut was a thing of beauty. Funny thing is I was thinking it was close to 1 lb. ? damn metric system. I thought it was a lot of money for a lb. haha
A kilo of Directors cut?! Damn that's amazing! I hope HU makes it to the US someday to be sold. I've been tempted many times to order a 5lb'er of sutliff va slices. Chicken out everytime, lol

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Match Victoria is good stuff! I think it’s even better when pressed. I’m sitting on a bunch of pucks I pressed about a year and a half ago. Out of all the blends I’ve pressed as a “do it at home hobbyist” I’ve found that Victoria Match was by far the best one that benefits from pressing.

C36E041B-2FD4-41F8-B9C5-3EEF4A76BD04.jpeg

It really darkens when pressed and it gives the smoke some extra depth... it’s great loose too, I’m just saying, now that you’ve got a pound, it may be fun to play around with some. Two of these pucks fit perfectly in those 4oz jars.

And all ya need is one of these:

D73A2AB2-C70A-4EBD-9C07-A83F632C0665.jpeg

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Match Victoria is good stuff! I think it’s even better when pressed. I’m sitting on a bunch of pucks I pressed about a year and a half ago. Out of all the blends I’ve pressed as a “do it at home hobbyist” I’ve found that Victoria Match was by far the best one that benefits from pressing.

View attachment 40994

It really darkens when pressed and it gives the smoke some extra depth... it’s great loose too, I’m just saying, now that you’ve got a pound, it may be fun to play around with some. Two of these pucks fit perfectly in those 4oz jars.

And all ya need is one of these:

View attachment 40996
The plot thickens. What are you pressing with?

Status
Not open for further replies.