PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Duke University used to -- may still -- have a department of the paranormal or parapsychology. They had Ph.D.'s from various fields working on this. Interest in this ebbs and flows, as does belief in it, though there is always a cohort who are true believers. I'm interested in the reports and theories, but when there is no further tangible evidence, it seems like creative energy having its way with us. On the other hand, peoples' concept of objectivity blocks a lot of their vision. I think the mind is an evolutionary fact, in perhaps all creatures. A grasshopper may have two cells devoted to it, a bacteria two molecules. Most mammals and many birds have well developed minds that are more limited than ours but more effective and less destructive. A jaguar would like to eat me for supper, but it doesn't want to exterminate most of life on earth, so it's one up on us. They are in effect our great great grandparents, who didn't have cell phones but were smarter than us in many ways.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
The vast distances of space and our universe is hard to fathom even at light speed.

^^^ This. It's very, very difficult for us to grasp just how big the universe actually is. As far as we can understand the rules by which reality functions the ultimate speed limit is the speed at which light can travel; however no physical object, at least one with mass, can travel at the speed of light. It's impossible because it would require an almost infinite amount of energy. Second, even if a space craft could be propelled at the speed of light the sheer distance between stars would make interstellar travel at best impractical, and more often than not, impossible. So unless we're missing some fundamental element in our understanding of how reality works, whatever is being witnessed/experienced isn't life from somewhere else in the universe hopping in a spacecraft and flying here.

Not that's not to say that something isn't happening. There are FAR too many people experiencing... something, and now we have video, etc. coming out. I have no idea what the explanation is, but I am sure that there IS one; such as...
Mass hysteria? People who experience something they can't explain mistakenly attribute the experience to "UFOs"?
The government is intentionally supplying misinformation to cloud the waters around some still secret project?
There actually IS some fundamental misunderstanding with our explanation of how the universe works and the rules that govern it?
We actually are being visited, but the visitors are coming from somewhere... else?
Bits of all of this? Who knows, it's all interesting, and honestly a little creepy.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like watching shows about paranormal stuff. I look at it mostly as fictional entertainment and usually spend most of the show mocking the people on it and explaining how fake it is, which annoys my ol' lady. ("Paranormal Caught On Camera" is entertaining because of its abject absurdity, for example.)
Having said that...when I saw that UFO video released by the Pentagon, my reaction was "Holy shit."
I'm not 100% certain it's actual alien footage, but it's the most convincing UFO video I've ever seen.
I love when I watch those ghost shows and the people who are "professional" ghost hunters have these unconvincing break downs cause they heard something creepy. Like you'd think they'd get used to it after a while. If you're entertained by that you might like the ghost hunter skit I wrote. One of the scenes they hear rattling chains and moaning coming from another room. When they get to the room they find a tape recorder playing and of course they flip out because the ghost can use technology.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
^^^ This. It's very, very difficult for us to grasp just how big the universe actually is. As far as we can understand the rules by which reality functions the ultimate speed limit is the speed at which light can travel; however no physical object, at least one with mass, can travel at the speed of light. It's impossible because it would require an almost infinite amount of energy. Second, even if a space craft could be propelled at the speed of light the sheer distance between stars would make interstellar travel at best impractical, and more often than not, impossible. So unless we're missing some fundamental element in our understanding of how reality works, whatever is being witnessed/experienced isn't life from somewhere else in the universe hopping in a spacecraft and flying here.
This is all 100% true, if we don’t consider the ability to deform space. The distance between things in space is often, well, astronomical. Even traveling at the speed of light, it would take us generations to reach many places of interest. However, hypothetically, if one could warp space time, then it’s off to the races. I’m not saying that’s necessarily what’s going on, that would be some serious tech, but it is something to consider.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I watch the ghost shows, I can see the ghosts, but I can also see that they aren't there. An active imagination can come up with evidence of almost anything. Like I used to say about rumors aboard ship, if you listen long enough, you can hear anything.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I watch the ghost shows, I can see the ghosts, but I can also see that they aren't there. An active imagination can come up with evidence of almost anything. Like I used to say about rumors aboard ship, if you listen long enough, you can hear anything.
I love when they're like oh my god this completely common normal photographic effect is so a ghost. No that's just a how out of focus bushes look...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Arctic hat is sold regularly on TV. You dunk it in water and the water slowly evaporates for an air-conditioned effect. Obviously, the actor/models have just been handed the hats and haven't practiced wearing them in their own style, so they all look like boot camp recruits in their new clothes, that is, quite silly. Also, since they are pitching to the widest possible audience, the other attire is decidedly preppy, which adds to the foolishness. But some of these TV products do incredible sales. The other touch is that once the models are attired in their water-soaked hats, a blue aura appears outlining their bodies to show how cool they are all over. Nothing crazier than video advertising. It looks like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Side note: When I was a student at U of MD, I took an advanced studies astronomy course (as a criminal justice major, which is kinda funny) called Life in the Universe. Long story short, it discussed the conditions that existed on Earth when life first appeared, the processes that occurred that resulted in life and the evolutionary process that followed, the Drake equation (a way to estimate the likelihood of the existence of extraterrestrial life), and other stuff. The professor was kind of a cool hippie, and every test had an extra credit question about a Jimmy Buffet song. It was my favorite college class.
My second favorite was another 500 class called The Sociology of Nuclear War, which was both fascinating and horrifying.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.