PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like them alot. Sometimes the grain is less than impressive, but sometimes it's great as well. I own 6 of them and they are all great smokers. Usually pretty darn good prices for handmade pipes as well.

Reactions: twoonefive

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have one that smokes great. They seem to be well constructed and have a certain chunky style.

Reactions: BROBS

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Boswell is the king of big pipes. They’re great quality as well. I have a buddy who smokes them, and he loves them. I’ve often toyed with the idea of getting one in either the Weather Stone or Lava Rock finishes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
JM has his own style - love it or hate it. (described earlier as "chunky", not far off the mark). Often his bents don't pass a cleaner (he said that need was internet nonsense). Acrylic stems mostly, and hand-cut. His briar is super-seasoned, he bought a lifetime supply a few decades ago so an easy break-in (and uncoated, as far as I've seen). We meet there every couple of months, so if you are close, watch for the next meeting. Boswells is right off I-81 in Chambersburg PA, 20 miles North of the MD/PA line, aka the Mason-Dixon line. The Boswells are great people. He did open another store near Raystown lake, just North of Chambersburg PA

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I love his pipes, I own have 3, all swirl shaped, medium sized bents, regular smokers with vulcanite stems, excellent draught/draft for sure. I dislike all his jumbo grizzly pipes he makes - but they sell like crazy. As mentioned his briar is tops, Not always the prettiest grain but well-seasoned. I think he has all Algerian briar. He's got a good old skool' family biz and I like that.

Attachments

• BOSWELL_SWIRLS_2018_1__67184.1516718130.330.330.jpg
    BOSWELL_SWIRLS_2018_1__67184.1516718130.330.330.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: alaskanpiper

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I own pipes from many makers and cherish them all, but, I own far more Boswell pipes than any other brand; over two dozen pipes. Without exception, they are the best smoking pipes I own. The briar is of excellent quality, bowls all have thick walls and large, perfectly drilled draft holes. The larger pipes can be a little heavy, but, it's not off puttling. They are not the cheapest option, but, hand made in America by really nice folks is worth the investment.

Cheers,

Chili

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I’ve not smoked a Boswell but I’ve been to the shop many times and browse d their wares. I find them to be a little clunky in design. Not really my cup of tea.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm all aboard with JM about the pipe cleaner passing obsession being nonsense. I'm proud of my bent pipes that pass pipe cleaners, but expecting a piece of wire to make a U-turn on request is unreasonable. Clean out the stem and the rest of the pipe when you take off the stem from time to time, and all is well.

Reactions: Papamique
Status
Not open for further replies.