What Tobacco Do You Recommend for a Corn Cob?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's kind of like pondering, "What kind of food should I put on this plate?"

It's up to personal preference. I see you are new to the forum. Welcome.

I see from your other posts that you have at least 3 blends and some briar.

A new cob may have a slight "roast corn" taste for the first 2 bowls or so. Don't let that bother you.

I would suggest that you take one of the blends that you've gotten familiar with in the briar and try it in the cob, to note any differences in taste or behavior.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m with the balance: really anything smokes great out of a cob. Once it’s broken in, which happens pretty quickly, that odd corncob taste will go away.

These old-hats here know waaay more than I, but my understanding is that cobs wick up moisture very well and personally I’m a big fan of the draft I get from MM cobs. I’m somewhat odd in that I predominantly learned to smoke a pipe from using cobs. The down side being I had an uncomfortable adjustment period when adopting briars into the family.

Personally I’m a big fan of cobs (but don’t tell my briars that), and have probably my only ‘rule’ concerning pipe tobacco attached to them: Burleys and burley-forward blends — cob.

Having said that, I will sometimes attempt to run off estate briar ghosts with, say, Five Brothers.

Keep us updated :)

SmokerLawyer

Lurker
Dec 3, 2019
I’m with the balance: really anything smokes great out of a cob. Once it’s broken in, which happens pretty quickly, that odd corncob taste will go away.

These old-hats here know waaay more than I, but my understanding is that cobs wick up moisture very well and personally I’m a big fan of the draft I get from MM cobs. I’m somewhat odd in that I predominantly learned to smoke a pipe from using cobs. The down side being I had an uncomfortable adjustment period when adopting briars into the family.

Personally I’m a big fan of cobs (but don’t tell my briars that), and have probably my only ‘rule’ concerning pipe tobacco attached to them: Burleys and burley-forward blends — cob.

Having said that, I will sometimes attempt to run off estate briar ghosts with, say, Five Brothers.

Keep us updated :)
Thank you very much! Actually, that's what I wanted to know (maybe my question or drafting was ambiguous). I mean, I wanted to know your opinion /preferences concerning corn cobs. Latakia or virginia, etc.
Thank you again for your precise answer, of course I'll try to keep updated :)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Other then burley blends, I like aromatics in a cob.

+1

Burley blends seem to always taste taste better in a cob than in a briar, at least in my opinion. Burley and cobs are made for each other.

Cobs are also great for aromatics because aros tend to be goopy and tend to gurgle more easily than drier tobaccos, and cobs are very absorbent. I have quite a few briars, but I only smoke my aromatics out of cobs. I do plan to add some meerschaums to the collection for aromatics in the future, but the point is, aros go great in a cob.

On the flip side, as much as I like latakia blends, I do not like them in a cob. Latakia is "briar only" in my book.

SmokerLawyer

Lurker
Dec 3, 2019
+1

Burley blends seem to always taste taste better in a cob than in a briar, at least in my opinion. Burley and cobs are made for each other.

Cobs are also great for aromatics because aros tend to be goopy and tend to gurgle more easily than drier tobaccos, and cobs are very absorbent. I have quite a few briars, but I only smoke my aromatics out of cobs. I do plan to add some meerschaums to the collection for aromatics in the future, but the point is, aros go great in a cob.

On the flip side, as much as I like latakia blends, I do not like them in a cob. Latakia is "briar only" in my book.
Wow, thank you! At first I thought that I should use some kind of latakia-english blend for a cob, but - as many of you suggest burley/virgina - I think I'll try a cherry burley with my first MM.

Reactions: diamondback

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Ennerdale!

Just about anything, really. I never noticed any popcorny flavor from my cobs. Some guys use cobs as taster pipes: to try out new blends and decide whether they like them or not.

Reactions: SmokerLawyer

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
anything is good, but in my experience burley forward blends really pop in them.

I like Storm Front (dont know if its still available) and blends like carter hall and prince albert.

Reactions: SmokerLawyer
Status
Not open for further replies.