PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Greetings! I was born in Prince George! I purchased a fine pipe back there at the Pine Centre Mall in 2008 - I don’t recall if it was at a Sheffield and Sons or not, but a small store like that. It was a Stanwell black bamboo shaft billiard. Lovely pipe. I wonder if that store is still there?
Sheffields is still at the Pine Center Mall. It's the only tobacconist in Prince George. Period. I buy my "cheap" Phillie's Blunt cigars there, and the occasional pouch of Backwood's Buttered Rum.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
To Sgetz: No, once I leave something, it's pretty much done. Took over 50 years to return to the pipe! Sometimes memories are better than the real thing.

The great violinist Nathan Milstein was the first violinist to record the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, in the 40's, on multiple 78rpm recordings. He repeated the feat in 1972 at age 72, in a recording that sounded virtually identical (we don't change much once it's "grooved" into us interpretively.) He said he'd never do that again . . . . he'd not be capable. I get that, thoroughly. Quothe the Raven, "Nevermore."

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Likewise. How are you enjoying our tobacco prices? 80 bucks for a 2 oz package of Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish in PG. Obscene. Gonna have to use parsley to stretch it pretty soon. No break for pensioners either.
It is bad now. In the future it’s guaranteed to be worse.

I suggest ordering from 4noggins.com. They are good people to deal with and sympathetic to the cause of pipe smokers less fortunate than they are.

What kind of tobaccos did you like back in the 70s and do you like now? If you mentioned Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish and that the only tobacconist in PG is Sheffield & Sons, I understand you may not have many pipe tobacco options that far North.

It is good to know that there is Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish in PG and more important to know that there is PG in Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish. 😆

Reactions: gord

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A big welcome from California!

Please
put your location in your Profile.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
It is bad now. In the future it’s guaranteed to be worse.

I suggest ordering from 4noggins.com. They are good people to deal with and sympathetic to the cause of pipe smokers less fortunate than they are.

What kind of tobaccos did you like back in the 70s and do you like now? If you mentioned Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish and that the only tobacconist in PG is Sheffield & Sons, I understand you may not have many pipe tobacco options that far North.

It is good to know that there is Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish in PG and more important to know that there is PG in Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish. 😆
Will check 4noggins out. Thanks. Back in the 70s, we had so many options and tobacco was so cheap . . . I remember only Sail and BR Cherry Cavendish . . . . oh yeah . . . and Erinmore Flake. I wasn't really knowledgeable back then . . . . usually drank beer with the pipe, in the Student Union Building. You could actually smoke publicly back then . . . quite a far cry from today, eh?

We can get anything shipped, but unless you buy from BC, additional duty is always levied. For instance, Alberta prices are about 40% lower, but most places will not ship to BC. Shipping from the States is also prohibitive . . . . duty on tobacco is, I believe, about 36 cents PER GRAM.

Best bet is to get my buddies in Alberta to bring me some when they visit, or friends on trips that don't smoke to bring me in duty free fro States. However, I get by. I'll discuss my tobacco choices and foibles in another forum. Cheers.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
(To BrightDarkEyes) Will check 4noggins out. Thanks. Back in the 70s, we had so many options and tobacco was so cheap . . . I remember only Sail and BR Cherry Cavendish . . . . oh yeah . . . and Erinmore Flake. I wasn't really knowledgeable back then . . . . usually drank beer with the pipe, in the Student Union Building. You could actually smoke publicly back then . . . quite a far cry from today, eh?

We can get anything shipped, but unless you buy from BC, additional duty is always levied. For instance, Alberta prices are about 40% lower, but most places will not ship to BC. Shipping from the States is also prohibitive . . . . duty on tobacco is, I believe, about 36 cents PER GRAM.

Best bet is to get my buddies in Alberta to bring me some when they visit, or friends on trips that don't smoke to bring me in duty free fro States. However, I get by. I'll discuss my tobacco choices and foibles in another forum. Cheers.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed

Please
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Not working for me . . . . can't find the correct button. I'll try again and let yu know, but I've spent
20 minutes fiddling with this. I use Linux . . . can that be the problem?

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed

Please
How:
Got it this time, I think.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Will check 4noggins out. Thanks. Back in the 70s, we had so many options and tobacco was so cheap . . . I remember only Sail and BR Cherry Cavendish . . . . oh yeah . . . and Erinmore Flake. I wasn't really knowledgeable back then . . . . usually drank beer with the pipe, in the Student Union Building. You could actually smoke publicly back then . . . quite a far cry from today, eh?

I remember going to a bowling tournament in 2003 in Saskatoon where people could smoke inside still. I tell you the air was blue inside. That was the last time I really saw smoking inside other than in an ABC Restaurant in Montana back in 2014. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t smoke cigarettes anymore at that time or a pipe by then so I turned around and left.

The prices in Alberta are better. Too bad it’s illegal for stores to ship across province lines.

Your best bet is 2-3 2 oz tins at a time from that site I mentioned. I’d order some right now. Then once that gets in make another order.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
No, once I leave something, it's pretty much done. Took over 50 years to return to the pipe! Sometimes memories are better than the real thing.

The great violinist Nathan Milstein was the first violinist to record the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto, in the 40's, on multiple 78rpm recordings. He repeated the feat in 1972 at age 72, in a recording that sounded virtually identical (we don't change much once it's "grooved" into us interpretively.) He said he'd never do that again . . . . he'd not be capable. I get that, thoroughly. Quothe the Raven, "Nevermore."
I play baritone sax, occasionally tenor sax, . I always wanted to play like Stefan grappelli. The joyous swing!

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
I play baritone sax, occasionally tenor sax, . I always wanted to play like Stefan grappelli. The joyous swing!
I'd opt for Jean luc ponty . . . . he actually had a massive technique and won several legit violin competitions . . . . and his lead guitarist daryl steurmer was a perfect match. great band!

Steurmer was one time lead guitar of genesis, but opted to join the jean luc ponty band as he was a jazzer at heart!

But grappeli? such a sweet tone, and you said it - joyous swing indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.