PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, there's the difference I think. I know plants can get disgustingly hot inside, but man...laboring under the sun when it's anywhere near 80 or above is sheer murder. I can understand someone who's inside much of the day enjoying it.
I'm outside most of the day before work, full sun is heavenly. My 7/12 is 3PM-3:30AM, all alone on my shift.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Ok, it's past my bedtime and I've had a few gins. I work outside 6/11-12s (sometimes 7 days a wk) with no AC and prefer it over the inside jobs that I've had in the past. I'll take Mother Nature over fluorescent lights and breathing other people's air in close proximity any day. My cats keep me tethered. They'll hang out, feed in the morning, and visit throughout the day. I'm pretty much my own boss, working alone. It's the only thing keeping me there admidst the junk I'm workin' with. Sorry, didn't mean to throw in a photo of Scarlett Johansson. Screenshot_20230711-232024.pngKIMG2455.JPGKIMG2464.JPGKIMG2439.JPGScreenshot_20230711-052421~2.png

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Here in southern Arizona, it is not unusual for summertime temps to be well over 100 with single digit humidity.
We are entering our rainy season and daily humidity levels begin to rise making the heat even more oppressive (especially since it causes swamp coolers to become much less efficient).

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Working outside in central AZ for the past 20+ years….
You can really tell the difference when it’s 105+ (lows in the mid-high 90’s) and the humidity goes higher than the teens.
My work’s physical (there’s a few yards of concrete being batched right now to cover the 500+ ft of rebar we cut and tied yesterday).
It’s crazy that some years I’m fine and some years it just knocks my d**k in the dirt.
Everything’s hot, but I’ll take that over banging my frozen knuckles on frozen steel any day.
58E75CE5-7299-4634-8131-9BC438337581.jpeg

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
All this talk about heat and humidity serves to remind me that I don't miss the Arizona desert or the Texas Gulf Coast near as much as I thought I did. puffy
I miss the fall and winter seasons of Indiana. When I was in grade school my parents would take my sister and me to Kings Island or Cedar Point in Ohio every summer. It seems to be either summer or winter here with little in-between.

That sounds miserable. Above 65 on the farm and I'm shorts and cutoff Ts. You keep that shit down there in Alabama please.
See, at 65, I am breaking out my heaviest coat and scarfs. I just don’t understand you winter-loving fiends. I just wouldn’t be aboe to handle it. Plus, I love my swimming pool.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Ok, it's past my bedtime and I've had a few gins. I work outside 6/11-12s (sometimes 7 days a wk) with no AC and prefer it over the inside jobs that I've had in the past. I'll take Mother Nature over fluorescent lights and breathing other people's air in close proximity any day. My cats keep me tethered. They'll hang out, feed in the morning, and visit throughout the day. I'm pretty much my own boss, working alone. It's the only thing keeping me there admidst the junk I'm workin' with. Sorry, didn't mean to throw in a photo of Scarlett Johansson. View attachment 232891View attachment 232893View attachment 232894View attachment 232895View attachment 232897
No need to apologize.

• Haha
Reactions: kcghost and Zero

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I moved from Albuquerque, New Mexico where it's not unusual to see 120 degrees with 10-20% humidity to Chicago, Illinois where it's not unusual to see 90 degrees with 80% humidity. Of the two, I far prefer the dry heat.

But at a certain point it's like the difference between being baked alive and being boiled alive. Neither one is all that pleasant.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Funny: Kaizen means "continuous improvement"

The only thing that's gotten "better" over the last however many years when it comes to car manufacturing, though, is making them impossible for owners to work on, and approaching-impossible for professionals to work on.

Proprietary every-damn-thing up to and including the tools and fasteners, never mind the six figure computer diagnostic machines, the necessity of replacing entire high dollar sub-assemblies when what's wrong is a $2 part within the sub-assembly, and 10X (or more) hours of labor to do routine tasks than they once took, and you've got IMPROVEMENT, all right.

But not for the PURCHASER.

"Honey, stop being cynical. XYZ is a kaizen company..."

"Oh. Why didn't you say so? Go ahead and buy the silver one, then."
Kaizening was invented by Mazda or Toyota or some similar outfit and it’s only to streamline the manufacturing processes; the end user is not a consideration based on what I’ve read about it. Embers can correct me if I’m wrong (as always haha)😉

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
See, at 65, I am breaking out my heaviest coat and scarfs. I just don’t understand you winter-loving fiends. I just wouldn’t be aboe to handle it. Plus, I love my swimming pool.
Its not so much that I love winter (Ohio winter is just 35 and mud, with the occasional apocalyptic snowstorm) but more that I hate the heat. Cold doesn't sap my energy. I can always throw another layer on, too. Heat is inescapable, you need a pool or AC. I have no idea how you, or anyone else for that matter actually survives.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper